Your orphan laptop LCD screen...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Your orphan laptop LCD screen...

Post by Externet »

This is good news. Finally !

We refuse to discard the old defunct laptop as its screen is soooo pretty, and we want to give some use to it.
Well,

----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LVDS-VGA-PC-RGB ... 415d6c1685

----> http://www.ebay.com/itm/LVDS-TTL-VGA-AV ... 3f0e3fe5c2

If you jump to it, let us know results. Sadly, I gave away my spare laptop screens, or I would do it first. But more will come...

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
Bob Scott

Re: Your orphan laptop LCD screen...

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Miguel,

What would you do with these boards? I see they do PAL and SECAM analog video. I don't see NTSC or ATSC. (??) :???:
Also, I see a tuner block but not frequency specifications.
How would they connect to an old laptop screen?
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi Bob
You can feed composite video, component video, S video, VGA video and seems a TV antenna/cable TV also to show on the orphan screen, with audio output too.

Perhaps they have other model for ATSC. What I learned is, you send an email to the vendor with the exact brand/part number of your orphan display and what do you want to use it for and they will respond with the model to order or will set-up their product to work for your request.
The connection to the screen uses its multi-wire pigtail plugged to a socket on the board; or with a connector adapter. The backlight board is not part of the deal, you use your own but can be powered from the board they sell.

Miguel
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

the auction clearly lists it as being for Asia and Russian market. I think it is not only obsolete here (not ATSC), it never was compatible with US analog TV standards
Externet

Post by Externet »

But you could still show a video camera on it; put it on top of your VCR/DVD standalone recorder; second VGA; cable modem output... if there is no ATSC models as to 'make' a kitchen TV...
My preferred use would be hooking a microscope composite video camera for board inspection on those housefly-shoe sized components.

Miguel :grin:
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

But you could still show a video camera on it
Only if your analog monitor was not purchased in north america. I guess some end model VHS players had NTSC/PAL compatibility but most televisions sold in the US would only show garbage with a PAL or SECAM signal, the synch is simply differerent.
Externet

Post by Externet »

Hi haklesup, you are confusing me... :smile:

Which analog monitor ?

A video camera with composite out connected to the board connected to the orphan LCD.

Miguel
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

turn it around then.

The video camera must be capable of outputting the NON-NTSC formats (PAL/SECAM) on its composite output or that unit will not know how to convert it to VGA. The point being, there is more than one kind of composite video signal in this world. If your video camera can output PAL, then it would work
Externet

Post by Externet »

Thanks, haklesup. I learned something else from you again :

There is NTSC composite; PAL composite; SECAM composite video signals.

Seems then the only standard source that board would be good for so far is VGA input to an orphan LCD panel. :sad:
Miguel
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

yes and also don't assume the european DTV standard is compatible with the US ATSC digital broadcast standard, they are not the same.

Does this mean all orphan LCD screens have the same kind of input? It seems to imply that is so but I don't know.
Externet

Post by Externet »

There is hundreds of pinouts and number of bits/resolution for orphan LCD panels out of laptops; but somehow that vendor says he can select a good number of them to work with those boards.
Miguel