Reliable breadboard connections

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
JohnCollier

Reliable breadboard connections

Post by JohnCollier »

Basic question: how do you make reliable connections to a solderless breadboard from off-board components?

I have a load cell and a pot which both have very small gauge stranded wire, so I can't just push the wire down into the breadboard hole as you can usually do with solid wire. Ideally I'd like to find a screw-type terminal block that I could plug into the breadboard, but all the ones I've found so far with 0.100" spacing either have pins that are too fat or too short. There are terminal blocks that plug into pin strip headers, which would work because I could use headers with the proper length, but so far I can only find these with 5.0mm spacing.

Any suggestions on a terminal block, or other radical idea for interconnection? I know I could rig something up with alligator clip jumpers and the like, but the whole thing has to be somewhat portable so I'd like to avoid all that.
Smoke_Maker

Re: Reliable breadboard connections

Post by Smoke_Maker »

For the bread board use I use the wire I cut off resistors and solder them to the thin wire to push them in to the bread board
Richard Furniss
is it suppose to smoke like that ?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

I have several components with screwy wires that I've soldered onto square-pin headers. Work great, gold-plated, 0.1" centers, etc.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Depending on how many wires are needed maybe a small PCB, with pins on one side and a screw terminal strip on the other would work.
Or, how about a DIP header, and solder the wires to the header pins
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
JohnCollier

Post by JohnCollier »

Just a follow-up in case anyone's interested. Here's what I ended up doing... right-angle male header with pluggable screw terminal block. Works pretty good IMHO.

Thanks for the suggestions but since this was being tested at customer's site I didn't want to solder anything on the ends of his wires.
Attachments
termblock.jpg