wireless counter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jdboy3020

Re: wireless counter

Post by jdboy3020 »

I am assuming that the compressor is in the top thats rotates, if so than the air line has a coupler that swivels. It's a shame the compressor is not stationary and the shaft comes down to turn the compressor.
True.
Is the shaft to the compressor in the center of the head that rotates? if so then you can build a arm mounted to the base that will read the magnets on the shaft!!
It is slightly offset from the center line. I had the same idea but check and rechecked and it just doesn't work.
If not, than would it be easer to just take a reading of the total revolutions once a week??
Yes, if you don't mind climbing a 40' tower every week! Also the electronic counters are hard to find that handle the 15-20 below temperatures that we sometimes get in the winter.
could anybody steer me to some books that would cover the basics of radio waves? Even if I can't get it working for the counter I could learn something new(and that's always a good thing).

jdboy
Smoke_Maker

Post by Smoke_Maker »

"It is slightly offset from the center line. I had the same idea but check and rechecked and it just doesn't work."

Thats OK, a strip of reflective tape on the shaft should do it, now for the transmitter and receiver. How are the laws there you don't want to have some government track you down by stepping on there frequency.

Try this link

http://www.sentex.ca/~mec1995/circ/fmt1.htm
Richard Furniss
is it suppose to smoke like that ?
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Just a quick jump in!
If I read this post correctly, the problem is not in how to measure the rotations but rather how to get the readings from the measured point to the ground. I envision that the turbine is mounted on a bearing assembly that has a concentric air line. The whole turbine is free to rotate to the wind, while the air supply pipe is stationary. I also assume there is no power available at the point of measurement.

So the solution may be a self-powered turbine transmitter and a nearby stationary receiver.

If the turbine shaft, or another blade spun part, is accessible, magnets, could be attached with closely mounted coils, like a small engine magneto. The pulsating dc, from a coil would be the RPM signal and if the coil outputs were rectified there is a DC voltage, maybe even enough keep a small rechargeable battery topped up. This generated DC could run a low power transmitter on the rotating turbine to send the RPM pulses, to a nearby receiver on the stationary supports near the turbine. The receiver would be powered and send the RPM data to the ground with a cable.

Perhaps the transmitter/receiver could be eliminated if the air pipe bearing were accessible. Use the same shaft pickup idea but send the pulses to a round coil fastened to the turbine side of the bearing, and another round coil, concentric to the first on the stationary side of the bearing to pick them up. The probably weak pulses could be amplified at the coil by an amplifier fed by a cable that carries power and signal.

A drawing of the turbine would be of great value in determining the practicability of this!
Yes, this might be a project I would consider looking into if it was not at the elevation of a bird!

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Smoke_Maker

Post by Smoke_Maker »

Now your cooking, another idea is to use a wireless weather monitor and if your good you could put you RPM into that signal.

http://www.scientificsales.com/Vantage- ... s-s/34.htm
Richard Furniss
jdboy3020

Post by jdboy3020 »

If I read this post correctly, the problem is not in how to measure the rotations but rather how to get the readings from the measured point to the ground. I envision that the turbine is mounted on a bearing assembly that has a concentric air line. The whole turbine is free to rotate to the wind, while the air supply pipe is stationary. I also assume there is no power available at the point of measurement.
Exactly!
If the turbine shaft, or another blade spun part, is accessible, magnets, could be attached with closely mounted coils, like a small engine magneto. The pulsating dc, from a coil would be the RPM signal and if the coil outputs were rectified there is a DC voltage, maybe even enough keep a small rechargeable battery topped up. This generated DC could run a low power transmitter on the rotating turbine to send the RPM pulses, to a nearby receiver on the stationary supports near the turbine. The receiver would be powered and send the RPM data to the ground with a cable.
I would like to do this but although I'm handy with a soldering iron and basic electronics I know very little about transmitting and receiving RF waves. Hopefully you gentlemen can point me in the right direction in regards to books and websites that teach the fundamentals. Thanks in advance.
jdboy
Smoke_Maker

Post by Smoke_Maker »

Richard Furniss
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

jdboy...

Myself and others are trying to help but what is really needed is some mechanical details about this 'Winpressor'
How about a drawing, pictures, anything. I'm not sure we even know if this is a turbine or a piston compressor. Are there belts and pulleys? We are making suggestions but are shooting in the dark as to if they are even possible! With more details it may be much easier than we have imagined! If there is some 'secrecy' issue, in that this is a new design, these issues can be resolved; but maybe not in a public forum.

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)