Nuts & Volts Circulation Numbers?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

Nuts & Volts Circulation Numbers?

Post by Bob Scott »

I thought that most mags posted their circulation volume somewhere on the "masthead" page. That does not seem to be true anymore.

Does any one know the approximate monthly the sales volume for N&V magazine? Servo magazine? How about digital copies?

With this entire hobby seemingly disappearing from existence, I'll bet circulation is pretty low. Wait a minute, I mean the whole electronics industry! AFAIK, there are no more electronics courses available at college level. I feel like almost the last man on a sinking boat. All the other electronics mags are dead now and have been for a long time. The electronics enthusiasts that are left on this forum are mostly older farts like me.

Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm just depressed. Tell me that the employment outlook for electronics men is looking rosy.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
CeaSaR

Re: Nuts & Volts Circulation Numers?

Post by CeaSaR »

Bob,

I don't know about the circulation of N&V, but I can say that I have seen ads
for electronics enginneering at various technical schools such as ITT Tech and
similar. Also, Radio Shack seems to have heard my rant either on-line or through
one of their "associates" about how they could stimulate sales by having an
employee work on something during the "down time" between sales and maintenance,
or have little leaflets with simple projects so that people can get interested in building
things again. It is called The Great Create and can be found on the home page
directly under the big flash ad in the next largest changing picture link. Let it load or
click this URL: http://www.radioshackdiy.com/&camp=BSDTGC.

In addition, I have been promoting N&V at another site and know of at least one
person who was looking into a subscription. Yeah, it's only 1 person, but a positive 1 is
better than negative 1.

Don't despair, you can see that some of the partners listed under Radio Shack's link
above and the readers of N&V are trying to keep the hobby alive and grow it. I know
I answer questions over at instructables on a regular basis, and most of them are
electronics related. I am Quercus austrina over there.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
VernGraner

Re: Nuts & Volts Circulation Numbers?

Post by VernGraner »

Bob Scott wrote:Does any one know the approximate monthly the sales volume for N&V magazine? Servo magazine? How about digital copies?
Warning! Opinions expressed ahead! :razz:

I was able to find a 3rd party statement of circulation here:

http://www.echo-media.com/mediaDetail.php?ID=16866

Quick numeric summary from the above link:
  • Annual :720,000
    Avg Circ:60,000
That seems reasonably healthy to me. :smile: I'll ask the folks back at HQ if they have some more recent numbers than the above as I didn't find anything more recent in my quick scan just now.
Bob Scott wrote:With this entire hobby seemingly disappearing from existence, I'll bet circulation is pretty low. Wait a minute, I mean the whole electronics industry! AFAIK, there are no more electronics courses available at college level.
A quick google turns up quite a few colleges and universities that have 2 year (associates) and 4 year (BS/EE) courses:

http://www.engineeringedu.com/engrschools.htm

There's also many online and distance learning programs such as ITT Tech. :smile:
Bob Scott wrote:I feel like almost the last man on a sinking boat. All the other electronics mags are dead now and have been for a long time. The electronics enthusiasts that are left on this forum are mostly older farts like me. Am I wrong? Please tell me I'm just depressed.
OK, you're just depressed! :grin: But srsly, to my knowledge, there are still quite a few magazines around to serve the interest of the Electronic Hobbyist, led by the flagship Nuts and Volts of course.. here's a short list off the top of my head:
  • Circuit Cellar
    Practical Everyday Electronics
    ELEKTOR
Then there are also the "crossover" magazines that have content that is in many cases interesting to the electronics hobbyist such as:
  • SERVO
    MAKE:
    ROBOT
    WIRED
Add to this the incredible number of projects available on websites across the internet and around the world.. there seems to be quite a healthy appetite for Electronic information.
Bob Scott wrote:Tell me that the employment outlook for electronics men is looking rosy.
Amazingly, there just may be some light at the end of the tunnel in this arena as well (no its not a train!) :cool: A recent trend has started that may bode well for the electronics job market. The trend is knows as "reshoring". An example article By Sheridan Prasso of Fortune Magazine is here:

Why we left our factories in China

The gist of the article is it turns out building electronics in China isn't always the best move.

So, cheer up! The rumors of the death of the electronics hobbyist is greatly exaggerated. :smile:

Vern

PS: Some neat changes are even coming right here RSN!
--
Vern Graner
psycho

Post by psycho »

I have just transferred from the local comm. college to Purdue North Central and they have a program for it. Although I am getting my BS degree in computers & info tech, I am getting a minor in ECET. See here : http://www.pnc.edu/te/ECET/

I just started this semester and I am taking Digital Fundamentals (among other classes). It should be a nice review :mrgreen: But, I am SURE I will learn something. Most of it will be review though.

Kevin
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi psyco,

Oh Perdue? I worked with a professor that worked there long time ago. We worked on a special kind of sine synthesizer that had to produce only certain harmonics that was to be used for further research.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Circulation data for magazines tends to be in the rear portions of the mag on an annual (?) semi-annual (?) basis for USPS regs.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jwax

Post by jwax »

CeaSaR- "Quercus austrina"? Really? "Bastard White Oak"? Too funny! :grin:
WA2RBA
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

jwax wrote:CeaSaR- "Quercus austrina"? Really? "Bastard White Oak"? Too funny! :grin:
You get the door prize! Thank you, thank you, thank you. Ah, my faith in in the community is affirmed.
I had to all but point out the link for the "other" board before anyone found out what it meant. :lol:

Stay dry! (Hurricane Irene ref.)

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
jwax

Post by jwax »

What's the door prize CeaSaR? :grin:

We have 20-30 mph sustained, with gusts to maybe 40, just north of Albany, NY. (8AM Sunday)
Ought to be a wet windy day, hopefully stay powered up!
Stay dry in PA!
WA2RBA