Ramsey Kits

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike

Ramsey Kits

Post by Mike »

just got the new ramsey catalog, some neat projects, but way overpriced. i would like to know if anybody has the schematics for the same thing. First is the SMT Multi Color Microprocessor Blinky. Page 14 if you have the catalog. It uses a multicolor LED to fade between every color.<p>The next thing is the SCA subcarrier decoder on page 21. it picks up the commercial free music band resturaunts use.<p>any ideas on how to build either without spending 30 or 40 bucks?<p>thx, mike
jwax

Re: Ramsey Kits

Post by jwax »

You'll get some ideas (or copy theirs) on SCA detectors from: http://www.fineware-swl.com/sca.html
Built one years ago for 67 KHz.
Good luck, Mike!
WA2RBA
Mike

Post by Mike »

thanks, any idea on the LED thing??
hp

Post by hp »

The LED thing seems to be a 8 pin PIC microcontroller based device. The PIC uses PWM to make the LED seem to fade through all the colors. It would be pretty easy to build, but the hardest part is to write the code that goes into the microcontroller. I did make a 'clone' of the ramsey kit one time. I didnt have a tri color led so I used three leds taped together. It worked pretty well, but the colors didnt mix quite as well as I would have hoped.<p>Harrison
Edd

Post by Edd »

Probably this will accomplish all you wanted, as I interpreted it,( Possibly it was another person wanting to audio intensity modulate a unit simultaneously). If you want to use three individual LED’s and tri cluster the 3 units mechanically closer together, I have successfully trimmed LED units dimensional profiles smaller and clear epoxied units together. Either a very fine grit belt sander or a Dremel cut off wheel was used, stopping just shy of the internal electrodes and the conical reflector<p>Refer to this site for your fader circuitry:
http://www.bit-tech.net/article/92/
Two optional modes of display can be incorporated.<p>73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled-Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)