Physics Puzzle

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

Re: Physics Puzzle

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Caesar,
CeaSaR wrote:So the hole is not analogous to resistance, rather it is impedance. The hole has reactivity with relationship to both pressure and frequency. Frequency determines the resonance peak of the hole and pressure determine the range in which that peak falls. The
resonance peak should be analogous to the point at which the hole is most efficient. Don't forget that a hole needs to have 3 dimensions in order to be modeled properly. Resonance changes with length in respect to frequency and volumetric pressure (set
by the size of the driver and the box in which it is housed) for a given opening size.
I think that you are talking about a Helmholtz resonator. It has a mass of air inside a tube that emerges from an enclosed container of air. Mass is DIRECTLY EQUIVALENT, not just analagous to, inductance. In the MKS system, 1Kg of anything including air is equivalent to 1 Henry. The compliance of the air in the container in m/newton is directly equivalent to capacitance in Farads.

I have read that the air mass of a hole is approximately equal to that 3 dimensional ball of air mass surrounding the hole with the same diameter as the hole.

I was trying to avoid air's inductance by analysing the energy dissipation of constantly flowing air through the resistance of hole (DC characteristics). I was substituting Voltage with pressure in newtons per square meter Amperes with and cubic meters per second. V=IR does not work when you consider P=IV and Joules Watt-seconds. Joules also equals newton-meters.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
MrAl

Re: Physics Puzzle

Post by MrAl »

Hi Bob,

So we have:

v=pressure=N/m^2=write "Npsm"
and
i=volumetric flow rate=m^3/s=write "cmps"
so
R=v/i=Npsm/cmps
and
Power=v*i=Npsm*cmps=N/m^2*m^3/s=N*m/s=Joules/s=Watts