your conversation is being recorded!

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
spindown

your conversation is being recorded!

Post by spindown »

Seems like every business I call warns me that the conversation is being
recorded for quality control purposes!
What's behind these messages? Thanks Paul
Robert Reed

Re: your conversation is being recorded!

Post by Robert Reed »

When I worked for a Utility company, they had recordings of every incoming call. The reason was for their legal protection in the event that some one would start a lawsuit and try to twist the facts surrounding that. Utility company's are absolutely paranoid about bad publicity. Probably because every one already hates them even before they get bad press. :smile:
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

My personal opinion is that they are practicing psychology. If people know they "might" be recorded,
they will normally restrain themselves. For those that don't, a recording is proof of the employee's
conduct with a "problem caller". Also, I think they do sometimes use it for "Quality Control" in order
to keep the emloyees in line. Yeah, more psychology.

Just my take.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
sghioto

Post by sghioto »

Well for what ever reason they are recording the conversation they are required by law to inform you before. I can remember years ago they would use a beep tone about every 15 seconds to indicate your conversation was being recorded.

Steve G.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

spindown wrote:Seems like every business I call warns me that the conversation is being
recorded for quality control purposes! What's behind these messages?
I set up one of those recorders for a cable company customer service department. I also worked as a customer service agent during a labour dispute with "outside workers". (I refused to cross the picket line and work as a replacement field tech, so I took the customer service job and the guy who normally works there went out to work as an installer.) They are indeed using the recordings for training purposes and for employee performance evaluations. Not all employees were recorded at once, maybe 1 in 50 per day (back in '94).
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
gerty

Post by gerty »

[quote] Well for what ever reason they are recording the conversation they are required by law to inform you before. I can remember years ago they would use a beep tone about every 15 seconds to indicate your conversation was being recorded [/quote]

Several years ago I worked on an intercom system for a Grade School.
when I got it working, there was that beep every few seconds, The principal informed me that he couldn't eavesdrop on a classroom without it. The teacher is made aware he/she is being listened to by the beep. The whole point of this is you don't have to be recording, just listening
alone required the beep.
All of this was years ago, and the only verification for the need of the beep was the Principals word. I haven't seen it since, maybe times have changed, and it's no longer required...
frhrwa
Location: Eastern Washington (state) and N. Las Vegas (winter)

Post by frhrwa »

I know they do it to protect themselves, but.... I still call a spade a spade.. that little warning or beep doesn't stop me from telling Dish Network that they just ripped me off for some more channels, or calling the Telco to tell them the dang DSL is down again and I'm tired of paying for nothing, or just plain tired of getting a FOREIGNER when I call their customer service line, or just simply stating, "transfer me to someone that speaks ENGLISH!".... so, they all have me on recordings.. ha
JESUS”…… don’t leave EARTH without HIM!
jwax

Post by jwax »

WA2RBA
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"or calling the Telco to tell them the dang DSL is down again and I'm tired of paying for nothing"

Fhrwa, after my DSL went out 3 times in the first 6 mos. I started tracking the outages and then reported to them that I absolutely was not paying for those no service days. It was only a couple of bucks back in my pocket, but the joy in thought of the billing snag it caused them was worth the effort!
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Robert Reed wrote:"or calling the Telco to tell them the dang DSL is down again and I'm tired of paying for nothing"

Fhrwa, after my DSL went out 3 times in the first 6 mos. I started tracking the outages and then reported to them that I absolutely was not paying for those no service days. It was only a couple of bucks back in my pocket, but the joy in thought of the billing snag it caused them was worth the effort!
Did you ever get the dufus who asked "Why didn't you call to tell us it was out?" or the similar, but more hilarious, "I called back to tell you your phone modem was down, but it went straight to the voice mailbox"? Oooohh, Comcast. I'm glad I don't have them anymore.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

When I called they said they were aware of the situation and their techs were diligently working on it. Seems like problems always happened on Friday eves. Friday - no service. Saturday - no service. Sunday - still no service!. Then comes Monday and late in the day- service restored. Its pretty obvious that Telco wasn't about to shell out for weekend overtime pay even in spite of what they told me.
gerty

Post by gerty »

Where I am we have a county CO-OP for the phone system. We are very pleased with the service. Last time I had a problem I called in at approx 7 pm to tell them my phone wasn't working but my TV and DSL were ok. Within 30 min I had a CO-OP truck in my driveway. I went out and told him what was going on, he measured the line voltage at the phone interface box, said the problem was off premise and left.
10 minutes later my phone rang, he called to tell me someone had made a connection next to mine and the wire had shorted over to mine. The CO-OP has someone on duty 24/7-365 to help with internet, phone, tv problems. The real icing on the cake is since its a CO-OP I get a check back from them every year. Well actually it's a credit that I take off my next bills, but I could go to the office and cash it in.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Gerty
You must live in Utopia :smile:. But seriously, I was wondering what section of Tennessee do you live in?
gerty

Post by gerty »

About halfway between Nashville and Chattanooga,and a little to the north.
Here's the phone co http://blomand.net/index.php
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

In some high tech cases a computer listens to you and when it detects stress in your voice as you become angry at the operator, it begins live monitoring by a supervisor.

Operators can become angry right back and this monitoring can keep them in check and remaining as professional as is reasonable. MAny of these call centers are contractors and this allows the principal customer to verify they are getting the service they pay for. There are many reasons for quality control and CYA is only a small part.