Hacking your mouse

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Newz2000

Hacking your mouse

Post by Newz2000 »

I saw that the "Cool Websites!" inset in the May 2005 magazine had a link described as, "Hacking your mouse." How could I resist? I typed in that hideously long url and was redirected to a site that showed a "page not found" error.<p>Being resourceful, I searched around and finally resorted to the "Way Back Machine" from www.archive.org.<p>For those interested in reading how to hack your mouse, here is the Oct. 2004 version of the page linked in the article:
http://web.archive.org/web/200410301128 ... ce489/mous e.html<p>This just basically explains how the mouse works, how it receives data from the computer and sends the signal back. Details about what can be done with this information is left entirely up to the reader.<p>By the way, Nuts & Volts staff, can I just mention http://tinyurl.com/<p>[ May 18, 2005: Message edited by: Matt Nuzum ]</p>
philba

Re: Hacking your mouse

Post by philba »

For scroungers, mice are wonderful sources of components. The newer ones have several opto assemblies that great for building quad encoders or edge detectors. The older mechanical MS mice (alps based) have mechanical encoders that make nice little thumbwheels as long as you have a micro to debounce them. Serial mice cables are great for making a nice pliable serial cable. Kids love mouse balls (so does Minnie, I hear).<p>Phil
terri

Post by terri »

Hoo-fah! You just couldn't resist, could you? I shall use my will power to the max in this instance. <p>"Half of will power is avoiding situations where you need to use will power." --Terri A. Travis, ca 2001
terri wd0edw
philba

Post by philba »

Resistance is futile, prepare for humorilation.
philba

Post by philba »