Need NEC Code

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed

Need NEC Code

Post by Robert Reed »

Does any one know if the National Electric Code is down loadable from the internet? My attempts came close, but no cigar. I really don't need the whole book and as a matter of fact I really don't want it. What I am looking for is the section entitled " One and two family residential Occupancy Electrical Code". My last inspected wiring job was 7 years ago and I know a few things have been added since then.For one-the da*med Arc Fault interrupter breakers at $35 a pop.
edm_1968

Re: Need NEC Code

Post by edm_1968 »

You can view online here:
[url]http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/About ... ?DocNum=70[/url]

Or if you're looking for different publications from NFPA you can go here:
[url]http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/list_ ... ndards.asp[/url]

You have to register, and you can't print or save it, but for free it isn't bad.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

The site does not seem to show free downloads. Clicked on just about everything and they all come up $$$$$.
Maybe my posting wasn't very clear about wanting free downloads for a particular section.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

You can read it online free, no search, print or save http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/onlin ... ?id=7011SB#

You do have to register first which is highly annoying. I've taken care of the annoying part for anyone else interested.

Email address: [email protected]
Password: lame
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

"You can read it online free, no search, print or save http://www.nfpa.org/onlinepreview/onlin ... id=7011SB#"
Browser cannot find page. Tried two different browsers.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I went right to it, signed in and went to the TOS page before I got out.
Sounds like you have a high security issue, Robert. Try lowering to medium.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Hi Caesar
Are you saying that you were actually able to call up and get the code in readable format (not print or something that could be stored). I can get into the site OK and cruise around but I can't seem to find any of the code book that I can actually read. Set computer to medium security and still a no go. Am reluctant to drop it any lower.
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

Robert I tried the link again just to make sure it posted properly and yes it does work just fine. Also, yes you can actually read the codes and flip through pages online for free. Do you have java installed? The book comes up as a java applet powered by a company called RealRead.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Yep, opened up and went right to the code. Used the java applet through RealRead.
Came through fine. Even went to the TOC to find all the chapters.

I wouldn't go any lower than medium either. Hope you can get in.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Well I have done all the suggestions and still no go. I never received the instant E-Mail verification that comes thru upon registering. I used ITX's alias and I got to where I wanted to go, but dialogue box said I needed a new Java which I thought I already had. Downloaded & Installed. Came back to NEC site and got the diologue box again!. At this point I threw the towel in as it seems my computer and NEC are not very friendly. COMPUTERS- You either lov'em or hate'em.
Thanks all for your efforts and over the course of the last few days, I have managed to get the info I needed by gleaning bits and pieces from various sites.