Web Site Building

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bern

Web Site Building

Post by Bern »

I am thinking about building my own web page. Where is the best place to go to get a lot of questions answered?
CeaSaR

Re: Web Site Building

Post by CeaSaR »

Check out my first post on this thread for 2 authoritative site on HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language). Many of your questions should be answered there. Also, if you can find it, look for Wilbur HTML (that's HTML 3.0 specs). It can be had as a web based help file (it comes with EZPAD 3.0). Wilbur helps explain alot of the standards you'll need to understand HTML. <p>Happy hunting!<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Mike

Post by Mike »

sorry to disagree, but i say forget the code and use software.<p>you can get a 45 day (i think) trial of dreamweaver from www.macromedia.com. i don't think there is any better software than it. sure laughs at microsoft frontpage, but who doesn't laugh at microsoft? :)
Bern

Post by Bern »

Thanks for the feedback. What I am looking for is possibly a forum where this kind of discussion could be done. Questions I have are; like there are various free trials, then what. Can they only be used if you use that group in the future? What is the on going cost? Can I use those programs and then keep it at my current server? Some use code, some software, some “What you see is what you get”, what are the pros and cons of the different ones? These are some of my Q., and I wasn’t sure if this is the best place or not to ask.
Mike

Post by Mike »

i dont think nothing is better than dreamweaver. its a wysiwyg, but the full version is i think around 300 or 400 bucks.<p>you do not need to put the program on the server. design html pages and upload just the pages and graphics and stuff.
Mr. K

Post by Mr. K »

I agree that Dreamweaver is better than FrontPage, but you can still do a lot of fine work with FP. In fact, you can do a lot of fine work with Notepad if you are suitably motivated. A couple of reference sites that I like include htmldog.com and webmonkey.com. Webmonkey is about to take the big ride due to lack of support, so go there quickly and check it out. And remember that I NEVER SAID to rip the site with a site grabber.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.
Mr. K

Post by Mr. K »

Oh, and I forgot.... If you really care about your reader, please go to Vincent Flanders' page www.websitesthatsuck.com . He's pretty plain about what people love and what egotistic web windbags inflict on their populace.
In theory, there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice, there is.