HELP, Vendor for Film Capacitors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Colt1911

HELP, Vendor for Film Capacitors

Post by Colt1911 »

:? I'm constructing a Headphone Amp with a cross-feed network and would like to use 1% film/foil or metalized film capacitors. Currently, I'm thinking radial polypropylene's would have the best balance of sonic quality, size and cost. Values are: 3.3nF, 22nF, 100nF and 1uF.
Can anyone suggest a vendor that ships to north America?

Regards
CeaSaR

Re: HELP, Vendor for Film Capacitors

Post by CeaSaR »

MCM Electronics, Mouser, Digikey, Jameco to name a few....

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

sonic quality
Be very careful of terms like that around me. That's venturing into audiophoolery. If you insist on caps described with interior decorator terms, check out the Hovland MusiCap line carried by Antique Radio Supply (http://www.tubesandmore.com ). They'll more that satisfy any audiophool's heart's desire and empty his pocketbook as well. Why a 1% toleance for audio work when it's rare to see them that tight in test and measurement?
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Colt1911

Post by Colt1911 »

I am not looking for $19 apiece capacitors, 50V Panasonic ECQ-P's would work just fine. Problem is that Panasonic has discontinued production and I've been unable to find a vendor that has Vishay/Sprague Orange drops in the desired values. The absolute values of the capacitors is less importance than matching the left and right channels, hence the E96 values.

Regards
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Have you tried the search tool on Digikeys site? 1-2-3 and you find your part. It does everything you you ask for. For that matter Mouser has a search tool but IMO not as good as Digikey for this situation of a parameter search.

Start by putting capacitors in the search box. from there choose film caps and in the search tool you can choose by parameter and dielectric as you seem to want to be able to do. You can also call or email Digikey and ask them to find a cross reference to the part series you talked about. Digikey indexes lots of parts they don't stock. It represents most of whats available on the market.

The Panasonic ECQ-Ps may still be on someones shelf but it will be hard to locate, high in price and they probably don't care to sell just 2 so keep looking for that sub.