Car Digital Voltage Panel Meter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Electronic Tek

Car Digital Voltage Panel Meter

Post by Electronic Tek »

Hello Community

I am interested in building a project with the ICL7107 chip from Intersil. I have one of the Encyclopedia of Electronic Circuits Volume 2. I found an old circuit that uses an old Analog to Digital IC chip from RCA CA3162E and can be used for many other applications. I download the .pdf file on the Intersil’s ICL7107 and purchased some IC’s from DigiKey. I noticed that www.mpja.com has the ICL7106, which drives the LCD screen. I was looking for a 7 segment LED Display instead. I used on www.mpja.com’s web site they have the 1 inch 7 Segment LED’s, which I am going to look for some of the general things I need at my local Electronics Parts Store. I was wondering if anyone has used a different component to regulate the -5 voltage the circuit is calling for, and if they found out what ½ resistor in series is needed to protect it from the car’s battery. I am also going to include a high amp diode for protection just in case of an electronic spike from the alternator. I would appreciate any and all insight to help me on this project. I do have an Associate in Electronic Engineering. I am currently working on my BA in Electronics Now. I know from past experience working on circuit projects that funny things can happen and surprise arise from Test bread boards to finally application. Any input welcomed. Also if I run into any thing along the way I will post pictures and insight on the installation. I am currently going to place this in my 1999 Grand Prix. I do have a complete set of GM Service Manuals for the W-Platform. I also had to fix a installation job done at my local car alarm store. The high school kid forgot to use 1 amp diodes to isolate the BCM from the Viper car alarm. Thanks for listening and Thanks in advance on any input you can give on this project.
Mannon Sullivan, II
Houston, Texas
Electronic Engineer
specialty car electronics & building computers
New to Microcontrollers from ATMEL
sghioto

Re: Car Digital Voltage Panel Meter

Post by sghioto »

Try this version. The minus 5 volts is generated by an ICL7660 converter chip.
http://electronics-diy.com/ICL7107_volt_meter.php

Steve G
Electronic Tek

Re: Car Digital Voltage Panel Meter

Post by Electronic Tek »

Thanks much Steve,
I was also going to use a potentiometer to adjust the brightest of the 7-Segment LED display; I would like to be able to tie it into my car’s instrument cluster variable resistor. I need to do some research on how much current is going through it and the ohm value. Then I can place a resistor in the circuit to work out the voltage or current limited to it, so I don’t damage the 7- Segment LED display. I intent to use (3) of those 1” inch ones from www.mpja.com or (4). I haven’t finally decided yet on that one. I also want to thanks for that link and the additional information schematics. That will help out a great deal with the other parts I need to order. I received (4) IC Chips from Dig-Key ICL7107. I just need to order (4) of those IC chips or fined them cheaper from another company are check my local electronics parts outlet store. Once I find get everything figured out I will post my pictures and outcome on this project. I wanted to get (2) extra chips for the future to keep this project going. I did them in the standard 40 pin dip set-up. I am still working on getting some SMD equipment to be able to work with the cheaper components.
Mannon Sullivan, II
Houston, Texas
Electronic Engineer
specialty car electronics & building computers
New to Microcontrollers from ATMEL