GE RR9 Relay Replacement

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Malnati

GE RR9 Relay Replacement

Post by Malnati »

I've used the Remote Control Switching Relay, GE RR9 Relay in several lighting control Applications. They are quite reliable and simple to use. Key features are 14/12 Guage screw clamp connectors, and a plug on the primary side. However, in cases where they are used outside, the temperature could be -30 degrees. This relay is solenoid operated. In this extreme environement condensation makes this relay inoperable. The relay requires 24 volts at the primary coil and the result switches 115 VAC @ 1A, a second 24v pilot contact also exists.

I thought there would be an obvoius replacement. Simple rocker type relay or an Solid State Relay (SSR). In my searches I have not located a suitable replacement.

<small>[ February 22, 2006, 01:47 PM: Message edited by: Robert J. Malnati ]</small>
Dave Dixon

Re: GE RR9 Relay Replacement

Post by Dave Dixon »

Robert,
This may not be practical, but my first thought was to find a hermitally sealed case and connector for the existing part. If you can keep the moisture out, it would probably work fine at the low temperatures. Just my two cents. Good luck, Dave
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

Solid state relays can be found at "All Electronics".

Also you could incorporate a christmas tree light bulb with each existing relay for warmth. I use bulbs, resistors as heaters, etc., for our cold climate which has reached down to minus 27 F so far with averages hovering at Zero.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

Hi,
I would think a small thermostatic switch and some form of heater/lamp solution is the best here. The thermostat comes on when the ambient temperature is around 32F/ 0C and keeps the temperature inside the relay at this level.

If you want to seal the unit hermetically you have to do it under extreme low relative moisture or the same low temperature you want to use it in, due to the condensing effect of moisture in colder air.

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)