Part identification

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Part identification

Post by psycho »

I have an ASUS motherboard where the front panel USB ports are not working. The 5vdc rail shows only 1.99v on it.

There is a burned part on the motherboard that is labeled P (on the first line) and 160 (on the second). It is black, surface mount and the markings on the board near it are either F6 or EE50 - can't tell what number goes with that part on the board. There is a fairly large electrolytic cap next to it. It has two leads and it is way bigger than the 0805 parts that I am used to.

I know that is not much to go on but, anyone have any idea what it is???

I may just replace the mobo but I want to check into this first.

Thanks,
Kevin
reloadron

Re: Part identification

Post by reloadron »

If I had to guess I would guess that maybe it is a PTC (Positive-temperature-coefficient) device for the front panel USB ports. More info here. That being only a guess.

One option would be to use an externally powered USB hub connected to the failed USB ports as a workaround for the time being if you really want/need the use of the ports. I believe MrAl has a story about powered USB hubs if I recall correctly.

Ron
psycho

Re: Part identification

Post by psycho »

Hmmm. That could be - it would make sense at least. I am not exactly sure why it blew. But I removed the USB/card reader unit from the drive bay and the PCB trace for the 5v rail is burned. That leads me to believe that somehow one of my rugrats plugged in something wrong or something.

I'll see what the others on the board think, too.

Thanks!
Kevin