Recomendations for a new Flat Screen Television?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Recomendations for a new Flat Screen Television?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Well,

Mother's 1996 Samsung 25" TV started smoking, and sparking.
The smell of burning rubber indicated that either capacitors in the SMP had burned up.
Or more likely the High Voltage Flyback has burned out.

I either case, it is time to get something too replace it.

I'd like to stay away from CFL Back Lit LCD's.
Since I've been seeing a lot of monitors/TV's that have inverter circuits fail early,
do to the excessive heat that they generate.

I've been looking at the new LED-LCD models.
Something that is around 26" in screen size.
And have the ASTC/NTSC Tuner.
Plus, RCA type jack inputs.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
ltx71cm

Re: Recomendations for a new Flat Screen Television?

Post by ltx71cm »

Definitely go with an LED backlit model, forgetting the obvious reliability gain the contrast ratio attainable is remarkable. My family spent quite some time searching down the best flat panel to go with and after looking at plenty of them we went with an field LED lit locally dimmable LCD by Samsung. Go look at them in person and you can easily spot the LED models. A direct LED model is very expensive but the LED-LCD models you referred to are a great compromise.

Before the Samsung we purchased a high end Sony flat panel and side by side the Sony looked like a washed out CRT (funny we didn't think that when we bought it). The Sony is now a bedroom TV if that says anything.

I would also add that you need to avoid Samsung Blu-Ray players at all cost. We've purchased two and one ceases to play discs past the half way point if at all. The second one defaults to a mode our TV can't display every time you power it off or visit the main menu. This means the screen is a blurry mess until you manage to get a video to play which forces it into the correct mode. Four firmware updates later the problem persists.
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

They may have stopped including the NTSC tuner. I am not sure. Also RCA inputs are getting more rare as well as 3 and 4 HDMI are most common. Definitely keep an eye on the wattage on the nameplate so you don't get an excessive power hungry TV. One feature I saw disappearing was picture in picture. It would be nice if it were coming back. I often like to look for a new program while holding onto the previous one or maybe put a security cam for the front door onscreen without moving away from the program. Can't do that on any LCD I've seen only Samsung had PIP when I bought my TV but it is very limited and only with certain digital inputs and the tuner (can't PIP two HDMI for instance or any RCA)
ltx71cm

Post by ltx71cm »

haklesup wrote:One feature I saw disappearing was picture in picture. It would be nice if it were coming back. I often like to look for a new program while holding onto the previous one or maybe put a security cam for the front door onscreen without moving away from the program. Can't do that on any LCD I've seen only Samsung had PIP when I bought my TV but it is very limited and only with certain digital inputs and the tuner (can't PIP two HDMI for instance or any RCA)
Ditto on that. It's disappointing. The few times we've attempted to use the Samsung PIP, we couldn't. As mentioned it's only for certain inputs and is very limited.

We can buy 480Hz 1080P 3D LED flat panels thinner than a pencil but displaying two pictures on one screen is too much.
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Yeah, I really liked the PIP that had been available on some of the TV's and VCR's.

RCA made a 35" TV/Monitor that allowed you to view up 12 channels at once.
Or you programed it to show channels, and CCTV, and had CGA hook up for your computer.
Thus, you could work on your computer, watch several Football games, and watch the front door, or babies room all at the same time.
The only thing that was bad about it was the design of the main board.
It used a lot of SMD's with heavy transformers and large heat sinks mounted onto it.
Thus, the combination of heat, and weight would warp the main board causing breaks, and components coming loose.
Spent a lot time on one customer's set using the stereo-view microscope repairing all the breaks,
and putting bracing under the main board where the weight from the heavier components had warped it.

Michael Kaudze
Site Admin

Post by Michael Kaudze »

The TV I want...

LG LE 9500 Slim 72" 3D LCD TV!

http://www.buy.com/videoclip/lg-le-9500 ... 77387.html

The new flagship brand of LG TVs boasts a thin bezel, slim design, and enhanced connectivity. The LE9500 is the top of the line of the Infinia LCD series. Not only does it feature a 480p refresh rate and 3D capabilities, but it’ s the first LCD TVs in the US market to receive THX certification. LG has also seen fit to include the THX “Bright Room” function, which adjusts brightness contrast and gamma settings for optimal performance in rooms with a great deal of ambient light.

LE 9500 Full LED Slim 55" 3D LCD TV
LG’s new Full LED Slim technology elevates picture quality with a slim LED structure that supports detailed local dimming of up to 240 addressable segments (on the 55-inch class LE9500), resulting in an HDTV that provides the deeper black levels and uniform picture quality which typically could not be achieved on an ultra-thin set.

The LE9500 series cabinet depth is only .92 inches with a bezel width of only 8.5mm. LG’s LED Plus technology (available on the LE7500 and LE5500 series), also improves picture quality and energy efficiency by adding a basic local dimming capability of up to 16 addressable segments.
# LG’s full line of LED LCD HDTVs boast a connectivity package with a variety of entertainment options, including NetCast Entertainment Access. With NetCast, consumers can access the following content sites for an almost endless array of entertainment options:

Skype™: Newly added in 2010, this allows consumers to make free video and voice calls over the Internet to family members and friends (separate camera and other equipment needed).

Netflix™: Updated with Netflix 2.0, consumers can stream thousands of movies without a PC.

VUDU™: Allows consumers to instantly buy or rent from an extensive library of movies and TV titles, including a catalog of more than 3,000 high-definition movies – with no monthly fees or additional hardware.

YouTube™: Offers the ability to instantly stream millions of Web videos directly from the Internet (without a personal computer).

Napster™: Now Napster subscribers can enjoy unlimited on-demand streaming music from millions of songs on their NetCast TV.

Yahoo! Widgets™: Enables access to various applications called TV Widgets that allow viewers to interact with popular Internet services and online media through applications specifically tailored to the needs of the watcher, such as up-to-the minute Yahoo! News, Weather and
# Finance, and new widgets, including CBS, Showtime and CNBC. LG also has incorporated the Digital Living Network Alliance (DLNA) technology across the full line of LED models. DLNA allows consumers to access content stored on other DLNA-certified devices within the home, such as computers, making content options almost limitless.

Providing easy options for connecting to the Internet, in addition to the wired Ethernet jack, all NetCast-enabled sets can integrate into a wireless home network by using a USB wireless broadband adaptor (sold separately). All models with NetCast also support multi-media playback from a connected USB device including photos (JPEG), music (MP3) and video (DivX HD).

For greater convenience and flexibility in setup and installation, all HDTV series with NetCast also offer wireless Full HD 1080p wireless transmission from a “Wireless Media Hub” from up to 98 feet. Connecting source components, such as Blu-ray players, cable or satellite boxes and video games to the media hub enables transmission to a compact receiver adaptor, which attaches to the back of the TV, hidden from view. This eliminates the need for individual components to be connected directly to the TV, making for a clean and easy installation and removal of the unsightly wires (Media Hub and receiver adaptor sold separately as a package).

LG’s Netcast entertainment access system offers the most online video and audio content directly to HDTVs and Blu-Ray Disc Players without the need for a personal computer. The expansion of LG’s NetCast feature to include Skype is the next step in providing customers with instant access to the online content they crave. Stay connected with friends and family through the video conferencing capabilities included with Netcast’s new Skype features.
Intelligence is the ability to adapt to change. Stephen William Hawking.
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

Considering how teensy the tuners are anymore, it would seem that PIP for 32 channels would be easily doable these days vs. the days of 1990.

I just junked out relatively new Sanyo 32" CRT TV when the set control went haywire. We'll be looking for something in the 32-40 inch category in the next few months. It's new stuff to me since all I have that's truly new is the 7" HDTV we bought a couple of months ago to replace the little TV in the fifth wheel.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

You want LED backlit LCD TV. I preferred Sony when they made CRT (Trinitron) but I don't like their LCDs. LG are okay but in my opinion the Samsung are some of the best looking of the ones I've done side by side comparison.

You WILL pay more for an LED TV than a CFL. I've seen some TVs specification stating 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios and up to 3,000,000:1. This is a Samsung 32" for $700 at Sears.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

jollyrgr wrote:You want LED backlit LCD TV. I preferred Sony when they made CRT (Trinitron) but I don't like their LCDs. LG are okay but in my opinion the Samsung are some of the best looking of the ones I've done side by side comparison.
I liked the old Sony Trinitron as well.
But for a while the Sony CRT's that had been manufactured in Mexico were defective,
or the guns had very little emitter material to them.
Thus, within about 4 - 5 years of normal use, the CRT was shot.

I've been looking at the Samsung's, and picture quality is good compared to LG's.
But they are higher priced as well.
jollyrgr wrote:You WILL pay more for an LED TV than a CFL. I've seen some TVs specification stating 1,000,000:1 contrast ratios and up to 3,000,000:1. This is a Samsung 32" for $700 at Sears.
Yeah, I know.
Which is strange considering that LED-Back Lit Display uses far fewer components.
Makes the television/monitor case thinner, weighs less than CCFL Back-Lit television/monitor.
Plus, since it doesn't require a lot of power, it is energy efficient.

My guess is that since they only just started using LED's for the back lighting recently.
The manufacturers have got to milk the whole "NEW" aspect of it.
Maybe after the "Newness" wares off, the prices will come down. :lol:

haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Sony's reputation on displays is like these three signs I saw taped in a sandwich shop window.

"Best Subs in town Voted 1999"
"Best Subs in town Voted 2001"
"Best Subs in town Voted 2002"

Er, what about the last 8 years?

LG and Samsung seem to be the leaders at least for the time being
Janitor Tzap

Post by Janitor Tzap »

haklesup wrote:Sony's reputation on displays is like these three signs I saw taped in a sandwich shop window.

"Best Subs in town Voted 1999"
"Best Subs in town Voted 2001"
"Best Subs in town Voted 2002"

Er, what about the last 8 years?

LG and Samsung seem to be the leaders at least for the time being
Hehehe... :lol:

You just reminded me of this old Sylvania TV commercial.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KQrf7jrz5U