DVD to VHS

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ajc-28

DVD to VHS

Post by ajc-28 »

Is it possible to copy a movie on DVD to a VHS tape? Is special equipment required?
Mike

Re: DVD to VHS

Post by Mike »

use a computer with software such as DVDx. You can get it from www.dawnload.com (that is not spelled wrong). Rip the DVD into Any format you want. I recomend DivX. You may need to download the codec, though I don't remember where.<p>Next, attach a VCR to the video output of your graphics card. If you don't have a video output, get a new card that does.<p>Play back some video full screen and record it. Record only like a minute or so and then play it back and make sure it is right. Then, record the entire thing.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Alternatively, you can use any number of video enhancers out on the market. Just place them between the VCR and the DVD. One place to look is MCM Electronics. They have several, ranging from $20 on up. This is a little more direct than the computer route (less expensive also). <p>I have talked to some people at various stores and they say they have just run their DVD through their VCR (video and audio out to video and audio in) with no problems and their tapes come out fine (so they say).<p>Pick one and try it. What have you got to lose?<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Mike

Post by Mike »

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by CeaSaR.:

This is a little more direct than the computer route (less expensive also). <p>I have talked to some people at various stores and they say they have just run their DVD through their VCR (video and audio out to video and audio in) with no problems and their tapes come out fine (so they say).<p>
<hr></blockquote><p>First, if you have the card with vid out and a dvdrom of dvdrw drive, its free. dvdx and divx are free.<p>Second, not always. many dvds have copy protection that wont even let you watch them on tv through a vcr, in fact almost every new one does.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

1. If you don't have a DVD player on your computer, then the cost goes up accordingly. If you do, then great!<p>2. These little boxes have fine print telling you that they remove the copy protection, along with more fine print telling you that they are not for illegal duplication. I use a SIMA video enhancer between my DVD and VCR because my old TV doesn't have enough jacks in the back for everything. I have never had any problems viewing a DVD this way. I also don't tape the DVD's as the quality degrades as soon as the signal hits the tape head, regardless of copy protection (400 plus lines of res. as opposed to 240 or more). Why settle for less?<p>CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
jwax

Post by jwax »

While on the subject, how does one take standard NTSC video from a VCR or video camera, and make it into a digital image, like a .jpg?
"Special" video card required?
WA2RBA