Current sensor

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Dean Huster

Re: Current sensor

Post by Dean Huster »

Yes. At least, I've never seen one that didn't. So, (I think I see where you're taking this) yes, you should be able to monitor the incoming current that feeds the water heater to drive the clock.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Robert Reed

Post by Robert Reed »

Tech9929
For a good start on your project, you can try using a current sensor sold by Digikey. Part number--237-1103-ND and sells for less than $3. It is about the size of a gambling die and has PC mounts. There are various ones listed in their catolog and go as hi as 30 amp primary current. I have driven optocouplers directly (half wave rectifier and filter)with these at less than 5 amps primary current. With the current you will see you can do much more and design your circuit about any way you choose. It is one sweet little package.
NV185864

Post by NV185864 »

What if you install more insulation. If your water heater runs you are either using up the hot water or you are losing heat into the air around the tank. If you install a timer you might not have hot water when you want it. Or if the water cools when the timer is "off" then it will have to run longer to make up for heating colder water.
I wonder if further analysis is in order here? Maybe you can use a solar panel to aid in you water heating needs? Then you can build a sweet power monitoring cicuit to only use mains power when no sun is available.