Xbox 360 Repair

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
ktomecek

Xbox 360 Repair

Post by ktomecek »

Hello Folks,
A few weeks ago my XBOX 360 died (This was my second one). All the research on the internet suggests that the processor and graphics chips have bad solder connections (they are BGA parts). The repair kits that are sold basically have you remove the clips holding the heatsinks down and replaces them with screws. The purported idea is that the contacts on the bottom of the chips will make better and more permanent contact. I am struggling with this. Does anyone have any experiences they can share?

Thanks,
Karl
dacflyer

Re: Xbox 360 Repair

Post by dacflyer »

if you want it fixed properly, it will have to have the chips removed, and all that bad solider removed, then replaced with good ol lead based solider. a friend of mine here in town has the machinery to do that, hes been doing this for tons of laptops also, its unreal how much problems that lead free based solider has caused..if you like i can ask him how much he charges to do the job for you, if your interested.
ktomecek

Post by ktomecek »

Thanks dacflyer. I have since bought (my third) Xbox 360. The repair kit sells for $14. It is just a couple of screws and washers, so I will probably try it myself. Just for the fun of it. I am over 40 (and still love gaming). I have 6 kids so if it works, they get an extra game console out of it, if not, we already have other consoles (they really don't care, and still love playing the Nintendo 64). I got the new one on sale (from Dell of all places) for $150. Thanks for your offer. You know I noticed the lead free solder being difficult to work with, but I thought I was losing my touch! I was trying to solder some BNC jacks and I have to practically melt the metal (joking) to get the solder to stick right.

Regards,
Karl
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I have no personal experience with the XBOX or the RROD problem but I have watched a few videos related to "fixing" the issue (XBOX 360 RROD Fix). Before you attempt anything be 100% willing to own an XBOX shaped brick. Granted the XBOX is broke now and if you fail it's still broke but if you strain the chip too much you risk breaking it which is less than ideal, and permanant. As it stands the XBOX is broke but fixable with the right set of tools. Some of the fixes posted on youtube are appear reasonable but not a sure thing. You know where your comfort zone is, go with it :)