"Work Tunes" Headphone Radio

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
tonybackache

"Work Tunes" Headphone Radio

Post by tonybackache »

Just purchased a set of "Work Tunes" headphone Radio AM/FM-MP3 compatible.
I'm disappointed with the reception on both bands. Distant stations that my other handheld radio receives fine the "Work Tunes" is lack luster! Reception of local FM Stations is fantastic while riding mower. I gave it a try without being near mower without any improvement.
Is there any thing I might do to enhance reception?
Dean Huster

Re: "Work Tunes" Headphone Radio

Post by Dean Huster »

Don't forget that most of these radios anymore are just a single chip with minimal control that're designed to pick up the station if it's right across the road. You may be stuck on this one. Most of the time, the headphone leads are the antenna, but on a headphone model? Well...

Maybe you could install a whip antenna in the top center of the headphone band and somehow connect it to a wire you see that's otherwise open-ended. But I wouldn't go with a whip antenna anything less than about four feet long.

You remember Al Franken on SNL before he went politically nuts on us?
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dacflyer

Re: "Work Tunes" Headphone Radio

Post by dacflyer »

i liked the dorky headset radio that had the twin antennas , one on each ear..
made toy look almost like Mr. KaZoo from the flintstones..lol
old headset radio fromthe 70's...lol