OT: Computer Virus Forum?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Bob Scott

OT: Computer Virus Forum?

Post by Bob Scott »

Hi Guys.

There was a previous thread in here maybe 6 months ago about one of us members infected with a computer virus that poses as an Anitvirus software demo version. It is uninstallable and demands that you buy the full version for $50 or more. The longer that you use the computer without buying the fix, the more damage it causes. After a day or two, it won't even let you use internet explorer to visit any URL.

Was the problem resolved in the previous thread? (I can't find the thread.)Does anyone know of a forum for antivirus software that may have a solution?

Thanks,
Bob
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
MrAl

Re: OT: Computer Virus Forum?

Post by MrAl »

Hi Bob,

I have had this happen to me several billion times! They really were a pain.

I have in the past been able to delete files that were installed but first had to 'kill' them using task manager.
Sometimes they could not be stopped using task manager, and that would mean another file had to be stopped first.
You really have to keep and maintain a complete list of files that are 'normal' for your system however, so you know which ones dont belong there after a hit.
Other times a restore point had to be used, to restore the comp to previous state.

One time the only way was to reinstall the entire operating system. Obviously this is a last resort but a few times it was the only way to fix everything. Takes a few hours unfortunately.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Bear

Post by Bear »

Bob... If I recall correctly the "ESET Nod 32" Antivirus web site has a free virus scanner & removal service. I have used ESET for about 5-1/2 years now and I have never been hit with a virus. That is the only av,anti spam, anti spyware and e-mail protection software I have. If I recall correctly my renewal cost is about $25.00/yr. I figure for the amount of time I spend on the net every year, $25.00 is cheap peace of mind. As far as all the free av software they fall under my category of "you get what you pay for".

Take care

Dennis
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

Hi Bob

Among the best virus removal tools I have found is Combo Fix which can be found here. I start in Safe Mode tapping F8 at boot and select Safe Mode with Networking from the options. Then run the tool from the desktop. Heck I keep that tool on my thumb drive it is so useful. :)

Ron
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

reloadron wrote:Among the best virus removal tools I have found is Combo Fix which can be found here. I start in Safe Mode tapping F8 at boot and select Safe Mode with Networking from the options. Then run the tool from the desktop. Heck I keep that tool on my thumb drive it is so useful. :)
Ron
Thanks Ron. That's a good idea with the thumb drive. I'll use it.

My computer is working normally now. My son fixed it without losing any links or files or my setup:
He booted in safe mode and nuked any suspicious processes.
He deleted all files dated later than the beginning of the month.
He reinstalled XP over the damaged XP. It was in "install-repair" mode of installation.
He got rid of my free AVG antivirus software and installed a free trial version of "Avast!"
I then spent a couple of hours updating the old/new XP OS at Microsoft Update. (several visits)

There was no dreaded reformat necessary. :grin:

Thanks for the ideas, guys!
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.