Spark plug wire lamp...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Spark plug wire lamp...

Post by Externet »

Hi all
Someone knows what light bulb is used in this item?

---> http://www.harborfreight.com/inline-ign ... -4424.html

Its base is like a plain bayonet type, but could not discern more when I had it in my hand. It conducts the high voltage well for the plug to operate normally, and emits great amount of light being in series.
Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Spark plug wire lamp...

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I agree it does look like a bayonet base. Though I've never seen a neon bulb with that type of base, neon would still be my guess. I know some motorcyclists use neon bulbs as spark plug wires -> Neon Spark Plug Light
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

If the lamp is a bayonet base it might be a NE51 or B1A. There are also others that are similar. They were quite common in the past as line voltage indicators and still widely available.
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

the harbor freight item is indeed having a NE51 Lamp in it.

about 25 yrs ago i used to have a really neet neon lamp type of timing light. it had a really fine neon lamp in it, it was in a cone spiral shape, non-replaceable type. it connected in series, like the harbor freight model, but the one i had had 3 ft leads, for use on setting the timing on cars. very old timey design with a magnifying lens it produced a large ammount of light, even from a push mowers small ignition.
wish i still had it. amazing what stuff you loose as a kid :P
looked on ebay, i see nothing like it. mine was almost a flashlight design. no handle like modern types.