LOCK WASHERS?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lenp

LOCK WASHERS?

Post by Lenp »

I use a fair quantity of standard toggle switches, the ones that mount in a .5" hole. Years ago all the switches came with a hex nut, a lock washer and a dress nut as standard hardware. Now, they omit the lock washer. After picking and robbing the parts box they are getting harder to find. Anybody have a clue to a vendor that isn't charging like they were gold! I think the ID is 15/32"(edited!)
Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
CeaSaR

Re: lOCK WASHERS?

Post by CeaSaR »

Ever try a Sears Hardware Store? Their nuts/bolts/washer aisles might have something for you.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Lenp

Re: LOCK WASHERS?

Post by Lenp »

CeaSar
This is a special item, no way Sears or any of the big box home centers would carry it. Even the industrial suppliers like Grainger, MSC and McMaster don't stock it. If you can find it at an electronics supplier like Mouser, Digikey, Allied or Newark it is either out of stock or out of line in price.
Thanks anyway!
Len
Len

CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I have to go to Sears this weekend anyway, so I'll take a quick look on the off chance "we" may be wrong.
Good luck on your search.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

How many do you need, Len? I have a pretty good stock of both 3/8" and 15/16" lock washers for bushings. I have mostly internal-tooth but a few external-tooth as well. If you only need a few, I'll send some - PM me with an s-mailer (I don't think they'll e-mail since my transporter plug-in went bad). You're right: you don't find dainty lock washers like we use in electronics at your local Ace hardware and they're scarce as hen's teeth (as is most any decent hardware) at electronics stores -- Radio Shack doesn't even count as one of those, either.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Dean,

Thanks for the offer! I could use about 100 a year and it's an ongoing project. Since this message was posted an unrelated lead came to me from someone else. C&K (Carling) makes them as part # 700302202. Mouser stocks them, about 0.141 ea/250 lot. I guess that's not too bad if it's added to another order since by itself the freight will be out of line. If you have a large quantity and want to make a deal, PM me!

Thanks again...

Len
Len

jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

Have you considered replacing the lock washer with say a dab of locktight (or clear fingernail polish, or superglue or ...).

Or, go old school and simply bend the nut slightly, or dimple it with a punch.

Or, replace the star washer with a standard split ring washer. The split ring should work just as well though it'll cost $0.02 more.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Jimmy101
Yes, Locktite was tried and in some cases it migrates around the switch bushing threads to the front panel, and causes a cosmetic blemish around the switch hole. It can be aggressive on some finishes.

These lock washers are for backup nuts that go between the switch and the rear of the front panel. It's not practical to dimple due to space and vibration and it probably wouldn't work. Dimpling would lock the dimpled nut from turning but offers no benefit to the other nut on the front panel which for cosmetic reasons could not be dimpled.

A lock washer, when compressed, applies a constant tension to the entire assembly; backup nut, front panel and trim nut, that usually continues unless the assembly is manually separated.

These switches are panel mounted on an enclosure that contains a small vacuum pump. It vibrates and as such, The lock washer is the preferred way to prevent shake out problems with the switch.

The 'split ring' home center variety is fine for many applications but is way too thick and in a 1/2 size could never be effectively compressed without destroying the backup nut or switch bushing.

I guess I'll get a bunch from Mouser before they start making them from 'pure unobtainuim'

Thanks again all,

Len
Len

Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

A better fix for vibrating rotation problems is to also use one of those flat washers with the right-angle lug and inside dog that fits into the slot along the bushing length. A hole or dimple must be drilled in the rear of the panel to accept the lug. You'd still need the lock washers between switch and back-panel nut and another under the front panel nut.

I have a big enough supply for hobby and replacement purposes, not for production purposes. Sorry.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Dean,
We considered the lock tab washer as well but the simpe toothed lockwasher seems to be adequate. Our 'junk box' was once also stocked with what we thought was plenty, but it was soon exhausted.

Thanks for the offer but, I doubted would have a large quantity available.
I have 250 in my Mouser cart, ready for the next order!
Len
Len