Smart Meter

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.

Are you looking forward to getting a smart meter

Yes, Looking forward enthusiastically
No votes
Yes but just a little
No votes
Don't care, Don't mind, Whatever
63%
No, I like it like it is
13%
No, I don't trust that it will be accurate
13%
No, I don't think my usage will remain private
13%

Total votes: 8

haklesup

Smart Meter

Post by haklesup »

Look what appeared on the side of my house yesterday.

Note the triangle shaped embossed connector for the IR interface. Top right is a button which I can't press. The only other features are the Funny slot beside the display and two openings on the side where you can peek in. (I'll try to get a shot in the hole later). Of course I obscured the identifying marks so no hacker (not from here of course) couldn't hijack my house or stalk me by my electrical usage. :lol:

Also note the dashes across the bottom of the display, they march across from left to right simulating the black mark on the rotating wheel of the meter they took away. (I sure wish they left it). The test mode screen does not light all the dashes, this part of the display does not change per screen. There are 6 dashes below each digit.

It cycles through 5 screens

CLS (I suppose they do these first 2 screens to show that no digits have stuck on or off segments. This shows that you are reading the right number)

Test (note the degree symbon between the last 2 digits not otherwise used on the informational screens)

Load (sometimes the left side says R/C if the load is completely non inductive)

Usage (a little over a days usage)

Voltage (three decimal places!!!)

reloadron

Re: Smart Meter

Post by reloadron »

Why not? I have a smart gas meter and a smart water meter so I figure a smart electric meter should be in the meter family around here. Actually the gas company can now just drive down the street and ping all the meters. I guess meter reading isn't what it once was. :)

Ron