BACKLIGHT COLOR CAP

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
numb3rs

BACKLIGHT COLOR CAP

Post by numb3rs »

I am looking for the rubber caps that go over lamps to change the back light color on lets say a scanner from amber to green. I had a few of these I pulled from non-functional equipment, but have no more wondering what they proper name is? and where can I find them?

Thanks for the help!
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: BACKLIGHT COLOR CAP

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

I don't know what they're really called either but I did find these. Light Bulb Cover
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

if i remember right, they are called gel-cap i have used many of them on pinball machines, but they fitted #555 and #44 bulbs etc, i am not sure where to sind smaller ones.
i do know art & craft stores have whats called staind glass paint. maybe that might do for you
i have painted grain of wheat bulbs etc before.. but the darkest color you can, i bought a color that i thought was what i wanted,. but it needed several coats.
not sure what the stuff is that they paint christmas lights with.. but it looks like a gel based paint. maybe the hobby shop has something also.

try this site.. www.priceheaven.co.uk/c3-paints-varnishes.html ( bulb paints )

good luck
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Plasti-Dip is now available in a kit (Plasti-Dip Create Your Own Color Kit) It is a can of clear coating and a set of 5 tints to make most any color. It works well with lamps if they are not too hot! See it here http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.a ... rchresults

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi there Len,

Very interesting stuff there. BTW, did you ever try their paint on "electrical tape" at all? That stuff looks interesting too.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

Nope, never tried the tape product.
Here's another item that may not be well known though. We are all familiar with heat shrink tube, but there is another product called cold shrink. It is an expanded tube, much like heat shrink but inside the tube is a stiff coil, like a plastic spring. The tube is slid over the splice connection and the end of the coil is pulled out of the tube. As the coil unwinds the outer tube relaxes and tries to return to it's much smaller size. When finished, it looks much like heat shrink. It's used in electrical connections and is well suited for applications where heat is a risk or outside when it is cold. See more here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20B2lITa ... re=related
Len

dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

most of the stuff you guys suggest is opaque stuff, light will be very difficult to shine thru
i think the staind glass paint is the best bet.
Lenp

Post by Lenp »

FYI!
The plastic dip can be thinned to be near water clear with a slight tint or as thick as desired. More coats are naturally more dense but the light does pass through!
Len