Need some non-volatile memory

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
yeturbumi

Need some non-volatile memory

Post by yeturbumi »

Hi all. I am embarking on an electronics project and I need a way to store things after powering off (i.e. non-volatile). But here's the thing: I need to be able to store it at the lowest level, without any microcontroller or pre-built processor. Just electronic components and wire. I may be totally insane for trying to do this, but I am determined. I think flash may be a viable option, but I can't find a tutorial on how to do such a thing.

With all due respect,

-Y
MrAl

Re: Need some non-volatile memory

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

It depends partly on how much data you need to store.
The electrically erasable eproms seem to be a good choice. If you need a part number and idea how to program it i'll look it up for you.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
yeturbumi

Post by yeturbumi »

I think that will work. I don't need to store a whole lot, probably less than a kilobyte. Thanks for the speedy reply! Part numbers and programming info would be great (I'm off to wikipedia right now).

-Y
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

There are two basic types:
One is where you have to set up the address lines in order to program a byte,
the other is where you have to send the device a command that tells it you want to write a byte
to a certain location via a serial type connection like SP2 or something like that.

The type that requires address lines typically will require at least an 8 bit address (256 storage locations)
that have to be brought to the right logic levels.
The type that requires the serial command with serial address requires pulsing one or two lines with the right code that tells the device it will be getting a block of data.

Which type do you think you would need?

A device like the AT24C32C is a serial device, which requires various commands to be sent to it to program a byte or what they call a 'page'. You can check out the data sheet for more information.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Unless this project is an exercise of theory I do think it's a bit insane. I can't blame you though, I've been there, I've definitely been there. I would get determined to complete a project my way no matter the complexity or expense. That being said is this for a real world project? Are you willing/able to use 4xxx or 74xx devices? Is your decision to not use a microcontroller an absolute requirement or a decision by you to avoid learning or investing in the technology? If the latter is true I'm willing to program a microcontroller to store the values for you. I would charge the cost of the chip ($0.78-$2.00) plus shipping from Saint Louis.
yeturbumi

Post by yeturbumi »

I've looked at the data sheet for the device you mentioned and it seems perfect for my project. Thanks for the enormous help. From your overview serial is the way to go methinks.