Searching for electronic/ electoral schematic gen

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
directcurrent

Searching for electronic/ electoral schematic gen

Post by directcurrent »

:grin: Hello everyone I am happy to be here, I have a question for that you might guide me in the right direct >>> I need a program that will help me put electronic drawings together via my computer. I have Win Vista and plenty of storage 5 TB and on board memory.

Can you help me found a program that has all the electronic and electcial schematic symbol and maybe a flow chart generator drawing program, I am looking for something in a fair price range, I welcome all suggestions........................... :idea:
God bless your help.
Greetings and Salutations to all !!!
CeaSaR

Re: Searching for electronic/ electoral schematic gen

Post by CeaSaR »

Welcome back DC! I hope things are better for you now.

Looking over your request, I went to my favorites menu and pulled up one of my oldies. It is Amasci.com.
This place has quite a few areas of interest and a lot of links. I chose the Electronics Hobbyist link and
from there chose the CAD Software link. There you will find a number of links to the things you are looking
for. As this is an older page, there may be some links that are not quite right or outright dead. For example,
if you click on the FreeCAD link, it will give you a 404 Error page not found. That's ok, because all you have
to do is go up to your address bar and delete everything back to the first single forward slash (/). That will
get you to the main page there. That will work for most, but as I pointed out, some are just gone from the
'net.

As for what software to use, I only have experience with something that is not readily available anymore, so
perhaps some other people here could give you guidance.

Remember, when looking at stuff for download on the net, make sure you have up to date antivirus, etc. to
keep the potential nasties out of your machine.

Good luck,

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
gerty

Post by gerty »

This is what I've been using for years, it's a simple program and it's free.
http://tinycad.sourceforge.net/
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

gerty,

Is TinyCAD just a CAD program or does it do other things, like SPICE, netlist, AutoRoute etc.?
I looked at it a number of times, but never downloaded because I didn't know if it was just a
singular program or a "muti-tasker".

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

Flow charting and schematic capture usually aren't in the same program unless it's a more generic mechanical CAD or just graphics. For example ACAD will have symbols for each or you can make your own library. Neither of the two pro level schematic capture and layout tools I use have any kind of flow charting capability.

Graphics and mechanical CAD tools can be used for drawing either of these things but will lack any processing or design rule checking and would likley have only a rudimentary graphics library.

Eagle CAD is popular for PCB layout and I believe its schematic capture tool is reasonably capable. Excel and word both also have flow charting symbols in the drawing toolbar but wouldn't be as flexible as a real flow charting program (which generally do other kinds of charts and graphs too)

PCB123 probably also has a schematic capture tool worth looking at. Their library has grown significantly since the acquisition by Sunstone and partnership with Digikey. This one is free because you have to buy boards from them if you design on this software because the output file is not generic.

Not sure if you ever want to use PCB layout tools but the two (PCB and schematic capture) generally go hand in hand.