cookbook search - RCA - CA3161E - CA3162E combo.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

cookbook search - RCA - CA3161E - CA3162E combo.

Post by dacflyer »

i have a handful of these IC's and pleanty of led displays.. and a handful of ideas, curious if there was ever a cookbook for this complimentary pair of IC's
(obsolete of course , but i happened to salvage a lot of this from various equipment, and would like to put it to good use.)
i even have a few displays already set up with allparts on them, just have to figgure out how i will utilise them.. thinking of using LM34 ( temp meter ) or make me a volt / amp meter for power supply..
MrAl

Re: cookbook search - RCA - CA3161E - CA3162E comb

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

I was on here but only have a few minutes but i can check a little later and get back here then too.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Re: cookbook search - RCA - CA3161E - CA3162E combo.

Post by dacflyer »

hi again, i found something that might be of use to me,,if anyone happens to have any old copys of "Radio Electronics" magazines specificially JULY 1990
i seen a partial article about digital dashboard, and it uses a lot of the ic's i mentioned in this thread.. but pages 32 & 34 are missing.

my other question for this is... i know it could easily be made into a celsius temp meter, but what about fahrenheit? :D
MrAl

Re: cookbook search - RCA - CA3161E - CA3162E comb

Post by MrAl »

Hi there,

Fahrenheit is made by multiplying the degrees C by 9/5, then adding 32.
That can be done either at the analog interface (using a scaled op amp or two) or in digital with discreet parts.

I thought that these were CMOS op amps, i see now that they are a seven segment decoder and an ADC.
That's neat i guess, but the ADC only goes up to a count of 999, not much by todays standards of 24 bits
and up. Would still be good for power supply voltage monitoring though.
I dont think these chips should be hard to use. Did you look at the data sheets?
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ya i did look at them, not hard to use, but getting the right input for the use you want is a little tricky for me,, right now in basic form, it appears to have almost a 1 volt full scale.
00 - 99
in the RE magazine, i seen a volt meter for a car, but it only scaled from 8 volts to 14 volts i think.

the ic set is almost like a ICL7107 with a extra digit. in a way...:P

but from someone in the forum here, i had bought a evaluation kit from them on the 7107.

so hopefully i might find one onthe IC pairs i have..or at least the missing RE page i mentioned earlier :D
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

I don't have the article you mentioned, But, if you are interested I have a copy of a Radio Electronics article from Aug. 1978 (I can scan it and email it to you) that describes building a digital voltmeter (0-99.9v)using the 3161/62 ICs. .
As far as the LM34 you mentioned, I believe it's output is 10mv/degree F.(LM35 is 10mv/degree C) and can be read directly if you want to display degrees F.
yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
To contact me via Email
replace<####7>with proper symbols
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I don't have any RE magazines, but there is a guy on EBAY selling that particular issue. With shipping
from Canada, it'll end up around $9 ($0.99 for the mag and $7.80 shipping). Maybe he'd be nice enough
to scan the article / pages before he sells it. Worth a try.

EBAY listing

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

thanke jerry, i'd like that, thanks...

Ceasar >> thanks, i'll look into that..
Darrell M

Post by Darrell M »

I have the July 1990 copy of Radio-Electronics and can scan and email the pages you want. Just let me know.

Darrell M
JerryR

Post by JerryR »

OK dacflyer. I sent you an email thru the forum(I'm not sure it worked-I never did it before)consisting of 4 attached files. if you did not get all the attachments send me an email address that will accept attachments.
My email addr.yjrybaatyahoodotcom.
JerryR
yjryba<at>yahoo<dot>com
To contact me via Email
replace<####7>with proper symbols
k7elp60

Post by k7elp60 »

dacflyer wrote:hi again, i found something that might be of use to me,,if anyone happens to have any old copys of "Radio Electronics" magazines specificially JULY 1990
i seen a partial article about digital dashboard, and it uses a lot of the ic's i mentioned in this thread.. but pages 32 & 34 are missing.

my other question for this is... i know it could easily be made into a celsius temp meter, but what about fahrenheit? :D
I have the July 1990 article that was in Radio Electronics. Figure 4 was the digital temperature guage. I can scan what ever you may want, and post it.
As a side note, I purchased some of the boards from Dakota Digital, and I still have the 12V DC voltage modules un use in several homemade projects.
I also have a spec sheet on the CA3162 that I can scan in if requested.
Ned
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

cool deal. i have the spec sheet, and the guy i contacted in ebay said that he'd send me a copy of the missing pages in email. :D
i am looking into the LM34 to make me a temp meter 1st. should be easy enough i think.
good enough for indoor use anyway :)
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

i found something that might be of use to me,,if anyone happens to have any old copys of "Radio Electronics" magazines specificially JULY 1990
I remember those articles in RE. I thought they ran over several issues, but whatever -- they ended up with a digital version for all the dash gauges for what were then all-analog dashboards. Now my curiosity is up and I'll have to look through those issues and see what went on. But you're right ... they used that chip pair extensively as I recall.
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

they are a great pair to use.. i can think of a handful of things. and they seem relative easy to use so far..