to project or not to project....

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Re: to project or not to project....

Post by psycho »

Which language are you using? Something tells me that you are trying to use Assembler language. If I were you I would use a high level language for everything I could. I don't know which PIC you are using but you might look into C. Granted it is not the easiest high level language to use, but it is compatible with MPLAB. I would suggest BASIC but I don't know of a compiler that is compatible with MPLAB - although there may be one???

Check out microchip's offerings @ http://www.microchip.com/compilers

I personally use MPLAB C but I know that Hi-Tech compilers are supposed to be pretty good also.

It looks like PicBasic can be used with MPLAB - PicBasic is VERY popular so you could probably get alot of help with it, too

Just my two cents.

Kevin
fripster

Post by fripster »

when programming a microcontroller seems hard to you, it maybe is because of the fact that MPlab (for PICs of course) normally can only be programmed in Assembly. Which is relatively hard to learn.
The PicBasic programming language however is very easy to learn... I would suggest you get PicBasic and get going. The rest is only logic.

Fripster
Once a WireHead, Always a WireHead
psycho

Post by psycho »

when programming a microcontroller seems hard to you, it maybe is because of the fact that MPlab (for PICs of course) normally can only be programmed in Assembly. Which is relatively hard to learn.
Not at all true... You can most certainly use C compilers and also PicBasic from within MPLAB. However that may have been the case way back when MPLAB was a new product. I have been using it with C for years, though.

Kevin