PIC16F628 Single Chip Stamp 1 Compatible

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jimcny1

PIC16F628 Single Chip Stamp 1 Compatible

Post by jimcny1 »

Was wondering if anyone's interested. Internal resonator in 90% of them is accurate enough to program and run serial data perfectly. I've
also remapped RA so you have 6 additional inputs mapped as testable bits BIT8,BIT9,BIT10,BIT13,BIT14,BIT15. So now you have a total of 14 I/O lines. You can fully decode an 8870 or any other 4 bit source and
still have 8 for control. You have 128 bytes for tokens and once programmed all that is need is 1 pull-up. Was thinking of Ebaying these for 9.99 programmed.
hp

Re: PIC16F628 Single Chip Stamp 1 Compatible

Post by hp »

Isn't that a bit expensive? One could buy a picaxe (which is more powerful then the stamp1) for a little over $10.00. One could get one at http://www.phanderson.com/picaxe/picaxe.html.<p>You could 'make' your own stamp 1 at http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Cable/7772.<p>I am not trying to be mean or anything, but I am the kind of person that likes to get stuff that has been tested and tested.<p>Harrison<p>[ May 08, 2005: Message edited by: hp ]</p>
philba

Re: PIC16F628 Single Chip Stamp 1 Compatible

Post by philba »

I've never used Stamps but is 128 tokens (instructions) enough for anything beyond just playing around?<p>I assume this uses the eeprom to store the basic program. Why not use the flash memory? A number of newer PICs can write their own Flash (its how boot loaders work) and thus could flash the new program via a serial cable. The 16F88 is an 18 pin PIC that I think might be appropriate for this. There are lots of bigger PICs that support this as well.<p>edit: oh yeah, it would be ALOT faster than using eeprom since it only takes one or two instructions to fetch from flash vs a long song and dance for eeprom.<p>[ May 08, 2005: Message edited by: philba ]</p>