is the gate open or closed

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
MicroRem

Re: is the gate open or closed

Post by MicroRem »

Ceasar, its a double gate, 2 8 foot sections. Right now I don't secure either section, just wrap a piece of chain around the both of them.

Tom
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

Tom,

Hmm, with a double gate, a normal "switch" would not be very reliable. Just too much movement/play in the gates.
How about a linear potentiometer set up a as a voltage divider with a twist. Feed both ends with +V and take the
reading from the wiper. That way center is the smallest voltage and swinging either way increases the voltage.
Enough voltage turns on a relay (or some other device) that signals you.

Just an idea.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

In thinking about this further, the time you would spend on developing this project and implementing and
maintaining it, you could go with a seriously lowtech approach and just put in some concrete and drop bolts
for the fence gates. Probably take less than an afternoon to do it all and you'd have the peace of mind of
knowing the gate is securely latched.

A couple of links:

Hoover Fence
Oakdale Fencing

The one at Hoover Fence is my first choice, as I have seen these in action. They work great. The solution
at Oakdale Fencing is used on another job I do on occasion, and it works, but could use another latch
further up on the gate.

Just another option,

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Ceasar, you are correct i think. My gate at my last house had a center point latch like you describe and it worked well. I do think I will still try to develop something that will report the gates position, but frankly I have been to busy working to accomplish much to that end.

thanks for the continued input.

Tom