inductive current probes

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
new guy

inductive current probes

Post by new guy »

I want to purchase an inductive current probe. Most of the wiring I will be checking is small, 18-12 gauge. most of the current readings will be lower than 50amps/ac. some as low as 145ma. SNAP-ON has a nice probe that will measure 10ma-60amps. I like that accuracy, and has a clamp that is small.(max wire size is 9mm). but SNAP-ON is an automotive tool company geared towards cars, and cars are 14.4v/dc. I work on some circuits that are 120v/ac and some are 480v/ac. Do you think this probe will be accurate on these high volt circuits.
Bob Scott

Re: inductive current probes

Post by Bob Scott »

new guy wrote:I want to purchase an inductive current probe. Most of the wiring I will be checking is small, 18-12 gauge. most of the current readings will be lower than 50amps/ac. some as low as 145ma. SNAP-ON has a nice probe that will measure 10ma-60amps. I like that accuracy, and has a clamp that is small.(max wire size is 9mm). but SNAP-ON is an automotive tool company geared towards cars, and cars are 14.4v/dc. I work on some circuits that are 120v/ac and some are 480v/ac. Do you think this probe will be accurate on these high volt circuits.
Yes. The voltage of the measured circuit does not affect accuracy when measuring current.

I'm not a big fan of SNAP-ON, but that is just because their tools are pricey.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
haklesup

Re: inductive current probes

Post by haklesup »

Taking a quick look at "Current Clamp" on ebay shows lots of choices under $50. If durability in the field and high accuracy aren't a requirement, I see a few less than $30. Some are meters themselves, others are adapters to plug into your meter.

If all your conductors are easy to reach and can be pulled out of a bundle or conduit far enough, then almost any style will work. For close quarters they have some with flexible cable like clamps that are easier to fish through awkward areas.

Snap On probably has decent quality and a good waranty but at a price disadvantage.