Am I missing something?? problem with an Antenna.

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Lockadoc

Am I missing something?? problem with an Antenna.

Post by Lockadoc »

I Picked up one of those "Wireless IR Remote Extender" from a large company,I wanted to remove its housing and install it in one of my outdoor projects and needed to installed it in a weather proof box. So that meant mounting the antenna out of the box.
Now what I don't get is ,
The wire comming from the PCB does not go to the Antenna.It is about three inches long and ends.An other wire that is three inches long ends in an eyelet that attaches to the antenna, the two wires overlap about one inch making it a total of five inches long the copper from each wire do not touch. The wire that they used is the same type on most wallwarts (power supply) ,two wires one black and one with a white line.

Thanks
Bill S
Lenp

Re: Am I missing something?? problem with an Antenna.

Post by Lenp »

It seems like capacitance coupling to isolate the antenna from direct electrical contact with the 'innards' of the device. The wall wart wire is like zip cord so the two wires would be held reliabaly in place, assuming the setup is like this...

PCB =========================
====================O Ant
^^^^^^^
Coupling area

Len
Len

“To invent, you need a good imagination and a big pile of junk.” (T. Edison)
"I must be on the way to success since I already have the junk". (Me)
Lockadoc

Re: Am I missing something?? problem with an Antenna.

Post by Lockadoc »

Thanks
It is a zip cord,

PCB ______________________
______________________________Ant

It just did not look right, but your idea of capacitance coupling to isolate the antenna from direct electrical contact does sound good

Bill S