Artsie Fartsie Fun

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
dacflyer

Artsie Fartsie Fun

Post by dacflyer »

heres an idea i have,,, but not too clear how to make it...
i have a 10-step (4017 IC)
decade counter / divider
uses a clock pulse to advance to the next step...
what i want to do is...have a small simple circuit to take sound/audio, peaks and turn them into a pulse..that whould trigger the 4017 to the next step... anyone know what i mean ?
i have a ton of super bright LED's of various colors..and i want to make like a sort of party light out of them,,
the circuit can be either of the direct connect kind or microphone...thanx....
greg123

Re: Artsie Fartsie Fun

Post by greg123 »

I use the same device at work in a dj lighting system. The controller uses a small microphone with high input sensitivity. As the bass of the music is ouput from the soundsystem, the mic pick it up and triggers the control circuitry. I think we now have it with 4 relays and the lights, although you could square up the output of the mic (schmitt ??) amplifiy it, and use it as a clock pulse to the control stuff. Is this what you mean? Or is the control stuff that you need?<p>[ November 03, 2002: Message edited by: theman ]</p>
greg123

Post by greg123 »

i think i have a schmatic, if you need....
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

hi... a schematic whould be cool...i suk at design...i can fix broke stuff, but i cannot explain the science of it,,lol<p>if i can build it then ok,,,but need a schematic,,,thanx...
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

theman >> hey i never got the schematic..i do not know if you sent it yet..
then again my e-mail might help too..lol<p>[email protected]<p>ok, thanx again
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Dacflyer.....still looking.....my net was down recently.......<p>From memory......bad discription.....<p>Mic---transistor amplifier(common emmiter, gain of 100)---schmitt trigger to clean it up and put in pulse form so it can be used as a clock signal. <p>Thats about it. Do you have circuitmaker or any other simulation programs? Might make it easier
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

i do not...and also i am clueless as how to make this...i am just ammature guy here..but has lots of great ideas..lol
if you have a schematic..that whould be awsome,,,
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

Hmmm, still no replies to this...i am still interested if anyone can help...
bizzybody

Post by bizzybody »

What you're looking for is commonly called a "Color Organ". Plug that into a search site and see what you find. :)
John J.

Post by John J. »

Hey Dacflyer
I have a book I bought on Amazon.com or Barns& noble Its a TAB book called ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ELECTRONIDS CIRCUITS. It has 4 plans for color organs in there
John J.
John J.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

no no no... i do not want a color organ.. i have a really good one here...<p>read my origional question again...
i need the part of a circuit to take peak sounds and turn it into a pulse. that i can use like a clock pulse. i want to use it like a clock pulse to advance a 4017 counter...understand now? ;) <p>need, to have either or, a mic or audio input..
when a low bass or hi peak is detected,, it will send out a pulse that i can use as a clock pulse..doesn't have to be a steady pulse..just random as the musik or sound is detected,,Hmmmm
greg123

Post by greg123 »

Hey me again,<p>I dont have access to post schmatics yet....can someone out there who has please do it?? :-)<p>You need one of those little condenser microphones. The ouput from this will need to be amplified. Then it will need to be squared up. <p>Mic-op amp-schmitt trigger. <p>This will provide a clock pulse based on the output from the mic. There will probably be an adjustment for sensitivity. <p>I will try ASCII art sometime soon....really busy now....
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

ok, thanx,, hope someone can show me,, i got all of my 4017 part finnished,, i just need the mic part to act as the clock part...i'll be waiting..thanx
toejam

Post by toejam »

The first thing I would try is a crystal mic if you can get one tied to the input in series with a pot say 1 meg. That might trigger it by itself.
L. Daniel Rosa

Post by L. Daniel Rosa »

You might find the pulses coming in too fast to be of mush visual use. May'haps a 4040 (or some other counter)after the conditioner and select which stage gives the right speed for your mood. I think I see something really cool emerging here, maybe something that can fit into a lightbulb base.<p>A CMOS inverter can be used with analog provided that you use feedback, give it a high impedance load, don't run it at too high a voltage. It'll still be running a bit warm. The Schmitt trigger is just a non-inverting buffer with a little bit of feedback for the latching action. This and more can be found at http://www.tinaja.com . Try looking for Tech Musings and Hardware Hacker in the library section of his site for some other 'it wasn't designed for this- but it does a da*n good job' applications. Anyways, this may reduce the parts count a bit.