Tire pressure sensors

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
kholmes

Tire pressure sensors

Post by kholmes »

Does anyone know what frequency the tire pressure sensors in new cars use to transmit data to the console? Also what is the data stream structure?

Keith Holmes
Henderson, Texas
haklesup

Re: Tire pressure sensors

Post by haklesup »

Good question, I checked a few how do they work websites but they don't go into those technical details. I searched ebay and there are lots and here is one with 315Mhz printed on the side. Maybe one of these ebay vendors can email you a datasheet although most look to be recovered used parts, a few look like sets. I didn't see any recievers or displays for this data.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Equinox- ... ccessories

While I couldn't see any data about the transmission method, I would expect that it does not emit any signal if the tire is properly inflated and a constant alarm if it is out of range. I believe this because they don't display actual tire pressure or discriminate which tire is low if the idiot light in the dash lights up. Active signal only when a fault is detected would also save the battery life considerably (which may have to last 10 years). They don't appear to have replacable batrery covers.