What to do?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
SuperMiguel

What to do?

Post by SuperMiguel »

So i bought the audrino starter pack, and i did everything in this book http://earthshinedesign.co.uk/ASKManual/ASKManual.pdf i also read this book http://www.amazon.com/Getting-Started-E ... 767&sr=1-4 both very informative.. I ordered few parts and im going to try to build a little robot..

The only thing is that i know how to turn a light on, how to move a motor, hot to read from sensors alot of basic stuff.. So what should i do next? i mean i dont feel strong enough to be able to build a robot that does more than moving back and forth. Is there a book that focuses on the C programing for embedded systems??? i feel like programing is my weakest link right now... also i was thinking about getting something like this: http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... absetBasic to get a better understanding in electronic parts. Thanks for reading :)
sghioto

Re: What to do?

Post by sghioto »

Well knowledge is key especially for a beginner, so the more education you have the better.
Some may disagree with your choice of learning products but you need to start somewhere. Steve G
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

The radio shack kit will be fun for a while but you will outgrow it quickly. It seems you are still striving to reach critical mass. Keep going, you seem to be doing just fine.

When I was young (read poor) I did a lot of learning about components just reading catalogs and datasheets. With the internet which I did not have growing up) that should be so much easier. However, I still like a printed catalog. Sign up for one at Digikey and Mouser that covers a lot.

Eventially choose a project you don't have explicit instructions or schematic for. Designing and finding out all the little details along the way is the best learning tool (and where the most pride comes from). also known as OTJ or On the Job style training (although the job is your creation)
denkiguy

Post by denkiguy »

There is a great series of articles on embedded programming in N&V magazine called Smiley's Workshop. Starting in the April 2009 edition, the focus shifted from the AVR Butterfly platform to the Arduino. This may not be exactly what you are looking for since there is the same focus in interfacing devices. That said, there is no better way to learn than by example. I always begin a new project by starting with something that works, usually some sample program that demonstrates a feature I want to use. I first get the sample program running on my hardware and then I start poking at the code to discover how it works. Once you have the feature figured out, you can modify it to do what you want.

If you are looking for your next challenge, why don't you try to interface an IR receiver part and decode the IR from a SONY remote control? There are many articles in N&V and on the web on the SONY IR format. It is a lot of fun to trigger features in your project via remote control. Besides, the IR remote functionality will be useful when you are ready to build your robot.
chribec2

Post by chribec2 »

The only thing is that i know how to turn a light on, how to move a motor, hot to read from sensors alot of basic
stuff.. So what should i do next? i mean i dont feel strong enough to be able to build a robot that does more than
moving back and forth.

VERY GOOD, sir ! !

You've got a lot under your belt without realizing it! In order to get the computer to do something in the outside
world, you must first have some inkling of what needs to be done inside the computer. That's called a program.
The computer has all these little tid bits of things it can do, but, can't do them without being TOLD to do them.
That's a program. Turning a light on and off - good. Reading sensors - excellent (your robot will need to know
where it is at and what is going on around it). Moving a motor - now things are getting interesting! To get the
small output power of the computer to control a much more power hungry motor requires some intermediate
electronics - this is known as the interface circuits (or interface board). Just getting the motor to run is one thing -
can you get it to go in reverse? Can you ramp up and ramp down the motor's operating voltage for smooth starts
and stops? Maybe the robot will be heavy enough to do this without special electronics. Adding some internal
feedback in the motor circuit gives you a servo - the circuit monitors the motor's input command and the shaft's
position or RPM and moves the motor in such a manner as to null out the difference. That little black box the model
airplane and boat guys use uses a potentiometer as the sensing and feedback element - therefore, it's called a servo.
As soon as you say 'feedback', you're talking 'servo'. But enough of particulars. The field of electronics, as you'll
find, is HUGE. You've made a good start with a kit. Hang in there. You will literally be teaching your self by under-
standing what you are doing. And then changing things to see what works and doesn't work. And when it doesn't
work, take the time to understand WHY. 'To build a robot . .', nice choice. You'll find small robotic kits available
in the pages of N/V for under $100USD. (Warning - learning electronics is not cheep). Build the kits - make sure
they work like they're suppose to - THEN experiment. You go from the known to the unknown, building your know-
ledge base as you go. Remember, no question is ever dumb. This is an excellent forum to - so to speak - let it
all hang out. Never be afraid to ask - you will be stumped from time to time (as you may have noticed in some
of these posts) - we're here to help. In fact, I hope this HAS been of some help.
Until next time - everybody grab your shields -- there's some electrons running loose around here.
Phil Potter. :cool:
The world is - oh my gosh - round!!!
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

thanks for all the replies, the only reason i wanted to buy that radio shack kit (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... absetBasic) is to kinda learn when and how i use a capacitor, a resistor, how to use IC... i tough it would help me with my digital building later on