Speaker not working =(

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
SuperMiguel

Speaker not working =(

Post by SuperMiguel »

So i bought this kit: http://www.electronickits.com/kit/compl ... ck1102.htm i can get both lights to work but i cant get the speaker to make a sound... any idea on how i can troubleshoot this??
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: Speaker not working =(

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Check that you have the electrolytic capacitors in the proper orientation and that the IC (black thing, 8 leads) is also properly mounted.
SuperMiguel

Post by SuperMiguel »

is there a way to test the speaker??
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

The quickest way to test the speaker without an audio source is to use a low voltage battery to see
if the cone moves. The speaker should be able to handle it for the less than a second you would need
to verify it visually. You should also hear the cone either bottom or hit max. extension. Since it is such
a small speaker, try to find an older AA or AAA battery that has run down to about a volt or so. At this
point, quite a bit of the power is gone so you should be OK to test like that.

As long as the cone moves, the speaker should be able to reproduce the signal you are trying to feed it.

As for the circuit, I second SETEC_Astronomy's assessment. Since you can get the LED's to work, that
section is OK. If you reversed the 555, it won't work. The capacitor may or may not work switched
around, but they showed orientation with positive toward pin 3, so make sure that is correct.

Lastly, make sure your solder joints are all nice and shiny and smooth. If any look dull or "blobby", redo
them. Cold solder joints make for a troublesome circuit.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?