Audiophiles nessecity?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Janitor Tzap

Re: Audiophiles nessecity?

Post by Janitor Tzap »

Hmm.......

It is interesting how many people go for that junk. :lol:

Well, if you have a computer with built-in audio on the main board.
You probably got some very good software for controlling it.
I've got these cheap ACER speakers that are connected to my one computer.
The Audio software enhancements program makes them sound like I've got PA speakers.
Instead of two little 4 inch speakers. :smile:
This is just the program that came with the drivers for the main board.
I seen much more detailed versions for working with MIDI equipment for studio quality recordings.
You can pretty much do what ever you want with the recorded sound.

Signed: Janitor Tzap
sofaspud

Post by sofaspud »

Reminds me of years ago, when I first installed the DFX plug-in for Winamp. What a mp3 epiphany!
Read those first-page reviews of the 'audio grade receptacle'. So sarcastic, I just gotta luv it.
BTW, I have an old Fisher solid-state amp and a pair of even older Voice of Music mono amps (for
when I want "that tube sound"), ran to Radio Shack LX5s, Minimus 7s, or Klipsch RB62s. Plain zip
cord and shielded RCA patch interconnects. Low budget, no voodoo, sounds just fine.
CeaSaR

Post by CeaSaR »

I wonder what the purists would say about the recordings at this site. I think it's cool to listen to a wax
cylinder that is over 100 years old, full of cracks, pops and hiss, not to mention the thin sound quality that
was the norm of this "new" medium and technology back then. I found the link through an Instructible for a
Steampunk Aural Enhancer.

RS LX5's and Min'7's, huh? My mains are a set of RS Optimus 30's (woofers replaced with burnout-proof
ceramic coil formers) and MC1800's (replaced the Nova series) pushed from an older Sansui receiver (20 W-
more than enough to not be able to shout over at "3" - came with the wife), tailored by a 20-band RS EQ
with inputs from AM/FM, (2) tape decks, turntable and 100+1 CD changer. Oh, yeah, 16 gauge zipcord for
all speaker runs, all on the 1st floor living/dining rooms. When I'm really in the moment, the 3rd floor thumps,
most of the windows rattle and I can't hear the traffic out front (TG!!!). When the EQ is switched in and out,
you get the sensation of going from what could be compared to a small tower system (think 80's faux component
rack system from Sears) to an expansive venue just by using the sliders, no expander or anything. I love this setup!
Best part of it is I didn't have to spend 10's of thousands of dollars to get it, probably less than $600 overall. That's
6 components and 4 speakers for that price. AND it will kick the s**t out of most of the junk sold today.

Enough for now,
CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

I doubt audiophiles get too excited over any Digitally encoded music formats especially considering the ones who spend fortunes on high end record players to get true analog sound.

If they do approve of digital music, I wonder what the minimum sampling rate and number of bits that makes them happy is. I suppose HD audio would be acceptable.

I remember in the 80's audiophiles liked digital (DAT) but now things seemed to have come full circle (pun on the record album). I knew a Deadhead (in the 90's) who preferred his audio recordings (bootlegs) on VHS tape. He insisted that the larger media surface produced superior sound. And compared to casette tapes, it did indeed sound better especially after frequent play.
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

haklesup wrote:I doubt audiophiles get too excited over any Digitally encoded music formats especially considering the ones who spend fortunes on high end record players to get true analog sound.

If they do approve of digital music, I wonder what the minimum sampling rate and number of bits that makes them happy is.
I am one of those audiophiles who knows that CD sound is not as good as vinyl. I figured that about 100KHz sample rate would be fine and gives room for filtration of the sidebands produced by sampling. Studios use 96KHz now. That's close enough. Too bad CDs are still stuck at 43KHz.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.