PIC C Reference?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Mike6158

PIC C Reference?

Post by Mike6158 »

Can someone here recommend a good reference book or website for learning how to write PIC programs in C? PBasic hasn't been too bad because I had some VB experience . I have no C experience so whatever I buy, if anything, needs to be comprehensive. I found this book: Embedded C Programming and the Microchip PIC, and it seems to be pretty good albeit a bit pricey.<p>What about C compilers? Any recomendations for a good C compiler for the PIC?<p>Thanks<p>73
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
hp

Re: PIC C Reference?

Post by hp »

A standard ANSI C book from a library is good enough to learn C.<p>Then just look at your compiler's syntax manual to see what the compiler supports and work on from there.<p>I would recommend CCS C. The only problem with the CCS C compiler is that it is not very stable. The CCS people release a new bug fix / version once every few weeks. The problem is that you will have to pay for updates. If you do not want to do this then get the HiTech C compiler. Microchip also has a C compiler for their PIC17 and PIC18 series of pics. Note that only HiTech and Microchip C is ANSI C compatiable. The CCS C compiler is not a ANSI C compatiable compiler.<p>Harrison
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

OK,<p>Thanks. I think that I have a C and C++ reference around here somewhere. I'll see if I can find them.<p>I appreciate the feedback.<p>73
"If the nucleus of a sodium atom were the size of a golf ball, the outermost electrons would lie 2 miles away. Atoms, like galaxies, are cathedrals of cavernous space. Matter is energy."
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

The book I always recommend is _C: The complete Reference_ by Herbert Schildt. I have both the C and the C++ books and they are excellent. They are both references and tutorials. Great explanations and examples and the "real world" projects in the back of the book have very useful code. I've had the C book for about 8 years now and it's never failed me.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Thanks. I'll check it out.
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

Has anyone used the C Compiler that these people sell? If so, any comments on it?<p>The ByteFactory<p>The link is to their home page. Click on the Products tab.<p>Thanks
Mike6158

Post by Mike6158 »

You were right Engineer1138... Those are two very good books on C and C++. If it's not in them it's probably not C.