Free TV Schematics

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Free TV Schematics

Post by Robert Reed » Mon Nov 09, 2009 9:15 am

I have an RCA 9" color TV circa 1995. It uses the "instant on" feature and lately has been acting up. It wont turn on unless unplugged for 15 min. and the restarted. Unfortunately, it loses all it memory for settings when this is done. Does any body know of a website for free TV schematics. In the past the ones I have priced have been in the $25- $45 range - way too much for the value of this set. I thought I had seen some free sites while surfing the web in the past, but cannot seem to relocate them.

wd5gnr
Posts: 104
Joined: Wed Dec 19, 2001 1:01 am
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by wd5gnr » Mon Nov 09, 2009 1:42 pm

Never can tell about finding a specific model but: http://www.schematicsforfree.com/ might help you.

User avatar
sofaspud
Posts: 531
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2002 1:01 am
Location: San Antonio, TX
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by sofaspud » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:04 pm

I'd give eServiceInfo.com a try too.

User avatar
Janitor Tzap
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Janitor Tzap » Tue Nov 10, 2009 12:22 pm

Hey Robert,


Have you checked with your local Libraries to see if they carry the SAMS PHOTOFACTS?

One of my Local libraries has them going from 1958 to 1999.

If you do have a library that does.
Get the model number off the back.
Check the SAMS PHOTOFACTS website.
http://www.samswebsite.com/photofact/pf_search.asp
Take down the SAMS number, and check if the library has it.
Then just go down there and make photo copies of it.


Signed: Janitor Tzap

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Robert Reed » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:14 pm

Hi guys
I checked the first two web suggestions and nada on this model. I my web travels anything that came up was intertwined with Thompson or Saga, but none of it made sense anyhow. I think most TV sets in the last decades come from a ship from Asia directly to RCA for a brief stopover to put the company name on it and then off to the retailers. Who knows who the OEM was.My recolection from years back was that RCA chassis nos. were always CTC xxxx and this one is no where near that.
Jan
That is my next step to check and see if there is a Sams print on this, my thinking being if they don't have it then nobody does. Unfortunately there are no LARGE libraries near me - or are they all connected by computer now that one could download from a local branch? The last Sams I bought was real high priced. Maybe they can e-Mail a cheaper version now.

PS cool- we have spell check now. When did that take place?

User avatar
Bob Scott
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Bob Scott » Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:25 pm

wd5gnr wrote:Never can tell about finding a specific model but: http://www.schematicsforfree.com/ might help you.
<NAB!>
sofaspud wrote:I'd give eServiceInfo.com a try too.
<NAB!>

Thanks guys! Those have some good older diagrams.
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.

User avatar
Janitor Tzap
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Janitor Tzap » Tue Nov 10, 2009 8:51 pm

Robert Reed wrote:Hi guys
I checked the first two web suggestions and nada on this model. I my web travels anything that came up was intertwined with Thompson or Saga, but none of it made sense anyhow. I think most TV sets in the last decades come from a ship from Asia directly to RCA for a brief stopover to put the company name on it and then off to the retailers. Who knows who the OEM was.My recolection from years back was that RCA chassis nos. were always CTC xxxx and this one is no where near that.
Jan
That is my next step to check and see if there is a Sams print on this, my thinking being if they don't have it then nobody does. Unfortunately there are no LARGE libraries near me - or are they all connected by computer now that one could download from a local branch? The last Sams I bought was real high priced. Maybe they can e-Mail a cheaper version now.

PS cool- we have spell check now. When did that take place?
Have you checked inside the case?
RCA/GE/Thompson will normally have a CTC XXXX number on the main board.
{Plaster onto the side of the tuner pack.}

Also, Samsung made a lot of the smaller sets for GE/RCA/Thompson.
Thus, I sometimes found the schematic in a Samsung set that was basically the same.

Hmm.....
RCA main boards are notorious for bad solder.
But, from the symptoms your describing.
I'm thinking that the problem is in the 5Vdc supply for the remote function.
More than likely a filter capacitor.


Signed: Janitor Tzap

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Robert Reed » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:07 pm

Have not opened up the set yet, but if no prints can be located reasonably, will do that soon and check for PNs. I remember that the early "instant ons" simply maintained a low CRT filament voltage while the set was turned off. It appears on this one, that programmed memory must also be maintained by a constant lo volt supply. The set has an on/off switch on the front panel, but this may just be a momentary switch parelleling the IR input circuits.

User avatar
CeaSaR
Posts: 1703
Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2003 1:01 am
Location: Phoenixville, PA USA
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by CeaSaR » Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:43 pm

wd5gnr,

Your link has a schematic I've been looking for since '92 when I lost my copy of the April issue of Radio Electronics.

Sofaspud,

You too! Found some possibilities there!

Thanks guys,

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Robert Reed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:32 am

Further research
Chassis no. is TX825QC. SAMS has it and was quick to locate, so that is a valid no. Cost is $22 E-Mail and does not print up well with less than 11x17 paper. Cost is $36 print version. Too much money to lay out where I may find out the defective part is not available or if it is may be so expensive that it shoots down the whole project. I guess its time to open this bad boy up and see if anything evident shows up :sad:

User avatar
Janitor Tzap
Posts: 1435
Joined: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:17 pm
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Janitor Tzap » Wed Nov 11, 2009 9:35 am

Robert Reed wrote:Have not opened up the set yet, but if no prints can be located reasonably, will do that soon and check for PNs. I remember that the early "instant ons" simply maintained a low CRT filament voltage while the set was turned off. It appears on this one, that programmed memory must also be maintained by a constant lo volt supply. The set has an on/off switch on the front panel, but this may just be a momentary switch parelleling the IR input circuits.
The "instant ons" TV's that were produced in the late 60's to early 70's had the low current flow circuit to the CRT's Heater Filament.
Thus, you would get almost instantaneous picture when you turned on the television.
But unfortunately these sets were fire hazards, because the low current Filament Resistor would break down.
I had to disable a lot of those "instant ons" circuits because of that.
The CRT manufacturers then came up a faster heating filament.
These were used more in portable battery TV's.
But by the end of the 80's the most CRT's were using the faster heating filament.

The channel settings are being lost every time power is lost.
Hmm......
That's strange.
Normally there is a "Memory Cap", or even a small nicad cell.
It is there to hold the memory for at least 2 hours max for limited power interruptions.

Well, have fun poking around in it! :)


Signed: Janitor Tzap

Darrell M
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Sep 01, 2007 6:37 pm
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Darrell M » Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:48 pm

Hi Robert

I have repaired a few of the RCA TX825 tv,s with the symptom of not wanting to turn on. I have always found it to be a bad standby regulator transistor TP15. It is easy to spot because the heat from it has darkened the pc board. Its collector is fed by unfiltered pulses through some resistors from the "cold" side of the AC line and regulates to about 10v in standby mode, then it feeds a 5v regulator transistor. The RCA part no. of TP15 is 198752 which I've never found a cross reference for, but I've been using a 2SD986 which is a higher power darlington and seems to work fine.
I have a Sams PF for a TX825TC which is probably similar to your TV. If you need more information I could send you a copy.

Darrell M

Robert Reed
Posts: 2276
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2004 1:01 am
Location: ASHTABULA,OHIO
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Robert Reed » Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:12 pm

Thank you Darrel for your most generous offer. Before I put you to the trouble of print copying,etc. , I will open the set up and inspect that area mentioned. Would that area be near the AC line input? If not that, I will get back to you.

jimmy101
Posts: 82
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:08 am
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by jimmy101 » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:19 am

Have you searched for just the part number without "schematic" (or similar words)? Often you can find the exact problem on the exact set. I've had luck finding things like how to fix bad vertical drive on a 15 year old set with details all they way down to which caps and which chip to replace. (Actually finding them on the circuit board took forever though.)

If you have a chassis number, or can guess at what similar model numbers might be, you greatly increase your chance of finding what you want.

You can also just search with the manufacturer name and words describing the problem. Often that'll find similar sets with the same symptoms which often have the same solution.

(There is a good chance you have already done this, if you have, it should have been noted in your posts. Searching for a solution to a problem is not the same as searching for a schematic.)

User avatar
Bob Scott
Posts: 1192
Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:01 am
Location: Vancouver, BC
Contact:

Re: Free TV Schematics

Post by Bob Scott » Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:27 am

Janitor Tzap wrote:The "instant ons" TV's that were produced in the late 60's to early 70's had the low current flow circuit to the CRT's Heater Filament. Thus, you would get almost instantaneous picture when you turned on the television. But unfortunately these sets were fire hazards, because the low current Filament Resistor would break down.
I had to disable a lot of those "instant ons" circuits because of that.
Signed: Janitor Tzap
During the early '80s, I attended one of RCA's VCR repair seminars. They were warning against replacement of flameproof resistors with other types. These flameproof resistors had 4 little holes in each end around the lead wires. Although flameproof resistors are apparently made and sold by Vishay, I have not seen any resistors with holes for a long time.

JT, here's a link to flameproof resistors if you or anyone is interested:
http://www.repairfaq.org/samnew/tvfaq/tvflamepr.htm
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 10 guests