433mhz data reciever

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
mikeb

433mhz data reciever

Post by mikeb »

i recently purchased a 433 mhz data reciever and transmitter modules seperate units. the receiever seems to only work intermittently or when my hand is in close contact with the antenna. the manual for the reciever says that the simplest antenna is a length of wire 7 inchs long an for better reception an distance a ground plane antenna can be used. a ground plane antenna would appear to be to much since i want to use the system indoorsinterfaced with a microcontroller that would recieve data from some external sensors connected to different transmitters. with this being the case i need the reciever to be accurate as far as when the dat is transmitted its recieved by the recieving device. the reciever has a data valid led which can be monitored. so im pretty sure the reception is pretty much intermittent or very sensitive at best, a slight shift of the reciever seems to also stop it from receieving until my hand is brought in close contact with the unit. im using 28 guage stranded wire 7" on the reciever and 20 guage solid hookup wire on the transmitter. any suggestion will be appreciated.
russlk

Re: 433mhz data reciever

Post by russlk »

The receiver is probably not tuned to the transmitter frequency. Try tuning the receiver for max signal.
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

The unit working when your hand is near/on it is the clue. It wants a grounded common. And if TX antennas are vertical, keep RX antenna vertical.<p>Cheers,
Dale Y
Will

Post by Will »

Where did you get the Tx/Rx - and how much was it ? I've been looking for one and couldn't find it among Rat Shacks offerings
BB