Emulate a Keyboard with a Notebook PC?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
cpbiomed

Emulate a Keyboard with a Notebook PC?

Post by cpbiomed »

Hello everyone!

Maybe an expert out there could help me out with this.
I service x-ray equipment that has a standard VGA port and old-style round keyboard connector on it. These ports are used to monitor the system when it boots up and to change BIOS settings. Instead of lugging around a keyboard and a monitor, I would like to be able to use a notebook PC to emulate both a monitor and a keyboard.

I have found a VGA-to-USB device that seems as if it would solve the video problem, however, I am wondering if someone out there can come up with a way to emulate a keyboard with a notebook, through a USB or serial port?

Anyone have any ideas on this?

Thanks in Advance!

-Chris
jgrade

Re: Emulate a Keyboard with a Notebook PC?

Post by jgrade »

Instead of going to hardware route, can you use a software solution? Any remote desktop software should do exactly what you want to do without the complicated setup. It may be a bit slower, but it should work; assuming you can load software on the clients PC. The other solution, just off the top of my head, would be to use one of those roll-up keyboards or 101 keyboards if you don't need the F keys.
Engineer1138

Post by Engineer1138 »

We have the same problem here. The only solution I know of is to get a small LCD monitor and a mini keyboard so at least the parts are easy to carry. The problem is that when you're in the BIOS, the operating system isn't running, so the services available are too basic for things like Remote Desktop to work.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

cpbiomed, did you come up with a solution? I have a similar problem with the x-ray systems I work on, although they are cabinet systems, not medical. I assume you are talking medical?

best regards,

Tom
SETEC_Astronomy

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

A very quick Google search didn't turn up much but I did think of a few methods that require little more then a uC and a cable. MicroRem, cpbiomed are either of you handy with a uC? It's a bit o a kludge but I envision essentially a USB to RS232 converter piped into a PS/2 interface. On the laptop you would type into a terminal and the uC would convert the ASCII keystrokes from the terminal to keyboard scan codes sent over PS/2. Just a quick thought.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Micros are something I haven't worked with yet. Maybe some time down the road, but i appreciate the reply. I am leaning towards one of those roll up keyboards i can just throw in my case.

Have a great day, everyone,

Tom