What Microcontroller Language do you prefer?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.

What microcontroller language do you prefer?

ASSEMBLER
17%
BASIC
20%
C
44%
JAVA
3%
PASCAL
2%
SPIN
3%
PLC (Ladder Logic)
3%
Other
5%
I Don't Program
2%

Total votes: 59

VernGraner

What Microcontroller Language do you prefer?

Post by VernGraner »

Please take a moment to let us know your preferred language for programming micro controllers. If your preferred language is not listed as a choice above, choose "other" and then reply to this thread with your preference. Thanks! :grin:
--
Vern Graner
gerty

Re: Microcontroller Language Poll

Post by gerty »

We just got started usung Mikrobasic here at the school. I don't know enough about it to say if it's different from 'basic'. We picked Mikroe basic because it was touted as being the easiest to learn with only 35 or so commands. We purchased the EasyPic4 development board to go with it,
which we really like.
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

I always use assembler because i like to always know exactly how the hardware and software
interact.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
Gorgon

Post by Gorgon »

I've used assembler for embedded projects at work and private for 30+ years, and I'm starting on C now, at least at work. If you use assembler, you get closer to the hardware. If you are programming an 8-bit micro you'll always need to get very close to the hardware anway, and any higher level language will impose limitations in some form.

TOK ;)
Gorgon the Caretaker - Character in a childrens TV-show from 1968. ;)
Bob Scott

Post by Bob Scott »

Around 1983 I attempted to write a simple program to translate assembly language into machine hex code for programming a 6809 uP, so that I might program in assembly instead of hex. However, I abandoned the project. My computer ran Basic only, and it apparently didn't have enough memory to store the required dimesional array. (It was and 8K PET.)

I would prefer Assembly, but I wouldn't mind a Basic compiler either if it is a dialect that can do math and logical functions. uP's would be absolutely necessary for making modern consumer equipment remote controls.

Presently I don't program microprocessors and do not plan to do so in the near future, so I didn't vote.

Bob
-=VA7KOR=- My solar system includes Pluto.
psycho

Post by psycho »

I use C for just about everything. The only time I use asm is where timing is critical - ISR's, tight timing loops, etc.

Psycho
RiJoRi

Re: What Microcontroller Language do you prefer?

Post by RiJoRi »

Late entry! :shock:

Given my druthers, I druther program in BASIC. Realistically, I find myself using C. I also look over the assembly for the micro, as well as the Programming Model to get a feel for the micro.

--Rich
MrAl

Post by MrAl »

Hi again,

I forgot to mention that i also use another language that i had developed myself for programming PIC's.
The language is fairly simple and like other languages it reads much better than pure ASM.
For example:

A=A+B would add A and B and place the result into A.
A=A|B would logically or A and B and place result into A.
<<A would shift A left.
>>A would shift A right.
A[3]=1 would set bit 3 of register A
A[3]=0 would reset bit 3 of A.
"if A[4]=0 then" would test bit 4 of register A and execute the next line if it is zero,
and skip the next line if it is 1.

Etc., etc.

This makes it a lot faster to get a program up and running when it's a new project.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
wd5gnr

Post by wd5gnr »

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Forth. I do a lot in assembly and some C on the "big" micros (like the big Arm boards I use). But Forth -- especially cross compiled -- is clean and efficient even on small processors.

One of my "hobbies" is building custom CPUs in FPGAs. I have a very novel architecture for my current machine that is pretty powerful (about 12MIPs, 32-bit machine) and I have a great Forth cross compiler for it. Took about a day to write the compiler--its that easy. Took a few more hours to add the single step debugger and some other things like the cooperative multitasking "kernel" (both in Forth).

A few choice articles on Forth:
http://www.annexia.org/forth - Build a Forth system on Linux step by step. Of course, there is gForth, but what you LEARN by doing these steps is awesome. Well done and true literate programming.

http://www.rfc1149.net/devel/picforth - Forth for PIC.

http://tutor.al-williams.com/picforth1.htm - Tutorial for PIC Forth.
don87109

Post by don87109 »

For many years I was an assembler programmer on communications computers, and my own home-built 1802 elf computer. I have used C, basic, and Cobol(yeah, I'm an old guy).

I love assembler, but when you need fancy math a higher level language is really needed (I think C is queen of the pigs). The problem with higher level languages is that you spend more time trying to figure out how to use the commands then actual hardware debugging. Most of the error messages have no relevance and frequently you have to use trial and error to figure things out. Very frustrating.

I did not vote because I haven't programed in a modern environment in about 10 years so my opinion is probably outdated.

I'm thinking about getting into modern micro-controller programming as a hobby, electronics was my first love. So I'll be interested in what everyone else says.

Don
stevech

Post by stevech »

C is like a portable assembler.
Not so C++, C#.
Not much code written in other languages today.
Zbasic.net is a nifty language for humble 8 bitters.
alicia ortis

Post by alicia ortis »

i am using the C language too.. and its more convenient than any other languages...
denkiguy

Post by denkiguy »

I think C it the way to go except when you are doing something timing critical on an 8 bit processor where it is necessary to use assembly. That said, I have recently started to move away from the 8-bit PICs in favor of the 16-bit variety. I will not miss assembly language programming.
seraulu1

Post by seraulu1 »

I try to use C language too.
Volter

Post by Volter »

You may like whatever language but if the MC comes preloaded with a specific language you won’t have much choice but to use what’s available unless you can figure out how to use your favorite MC for your project. :grin: