What Microcontroller Language do you prefer?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.

What microcontroller language do you prefer?

ASSEMBLER
17%
BASIC
20%
C
44%
JAVA
3%
PASCAL
2%
SPIN
3%
PLC (Ladder Logic)
3%
Other
5%
I Don't Program
2%

Total votes: 59

ptribbey

Re: What Microcontroller Language do you prefer?

Post by ptribbey »

At tech school in 1984 we used assembler on custom 8080 machines. I got pretty good at it.
It seems to me that a BASIC compiler such as Proton or PicBasic with as needed assembly routines is the way to go, at least for the hobbiest writing relatively small code.
It is fast and easy to use, and free for the trial versions.
Also, the Picaxe micro is outstanding. It has the compiler/tokenizer? built right in and comes in a dozen flavors.

I am learning C, it is an ongoing project. My inspiration is Joe Pardue in the N&V column Smiley Micros. The C Language does not come easy to me. It seems way more picky than BASIC, but I will keep learning.
I voted Beginners All purpose Symbolic Instruction Code in the poll.
That is just about my two cents worth on that.

Paul
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

I tend to write all my programs in either C or structured Basic (Basic that looks and behaves like C), however in my opinion you still need to learn the assembler for your microcontroller for the following reasons.

1. It makes it easier to debug your code when your program doesn't do what you thought it would.

2. Not all compilers are created equal, so if efficient in terms of either speed or space are concerned it is worth knowing what assembler your compiler produces. I have a C compiler where a = a + 1 does not produce the same assembler as a++ or ~a the same as !a.

3. Some parts of the code might need to be written in assembler for speed purposes.

4. Not all compilers will have built in instructions for example accessing memory or startup code, in which case assembler has to be used.
On a clear disk you can seek forever.
stevech

Post by stevech »

Knowing C for embedded makes you much more employable, if that's your need.
Changie

Post by Changie »

I have just started going to school for programing and most of the ones on your list ar not even taught at my school. So I guess I will will have to do more homework on my own to learn them. I did not know all of these were even out there.
bodgy

Post by bodgy »

Changie wrote:I have just started going to school for programing and most of the ones on your list ar not even taught at my school.
Out of interest which programming languages are being taught?
On a clear disk you can seek forever.