This one evaded me for too long...

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

This one evaded me for too long...

Post by Externet »

It is not that new; and I missed it. :sad: Decided to search to see if such animal existed, and ... it does !

http://www.dansdata.com/dah220.htm

Would allow to keep the cassette player in my car, with low theft-temptation level.
Now, if the sound of a crappy MP3 can be made decent enough, it may be viable.

Does anyone know of similar gadgets ?

Miguel
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
dr_when

Re: This one evaded me for too long...

Post by dr_when »

Miguel,

You must have been under a rock for a few years. These "craptacular" devices have been around a long time and are barely worth the effort. You should find them at swap meets, etc. for a few dollars. There are better ways to get MP3, etc. into your auto sound system.

Bob
"Who is John Galt?"
jimmy101

Post by jimmy101 »

They work just fine, especially in a car environment where "fidelity" is really not all that important. You can also get corded versions that plug into the ear phone jack of your MP3 player then the cassette end goes into the car's player. They work fine as well. The fidelity is about the same as with a tape, not great but again you're talking about inside a car.

Overall these are a great solution for any sound system that doesn't have any audio inputs. You can sometime find the corded version at surplus places for $5 or so, for example;
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-st ... R/-/1.html

There are also cheap FM transmitters that plug into the MP3 headphone jack and transmit to the car's stereo system via FM. People tend to have varying success with those. Some times they work great, sometimes not. Depends on the transmitter and the car's reciever.

There are of course "better" solutions but they all tend to cost considerably more $$$.
dacflyer

Post by dacflyer »

best FM transmitter i have ever bought for the price is www.wholehousetransmitter.com
bought mine on sale for $75.00 a few years ago..
this is so good it transmits the whole block.. and its as small as a pack of cigarettes, has a long wire for the antenna..higher the farther it sends..
good luck..