Diode needed

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

Diode needed

Post by psycho »

Hi all. I am finally getting around to fixing my 19" monitor. It's been broke for more than 5 years so it's about time :grin:

For some reason, the person who designed it decided to piggyback two 31DF4 diodes (30ns, 3amp, IIRC). This was found to be a major flaw in the thing - they fail alot. Some people recommend using two NTE576's in there place (more amps) but, NTE is so expensive. How would I cross reference to a normal part? Better still would be a 30ns ~8amp diode that will replace both of them.

I am sure they did this as a cost savings but in reality, it is a really bad design decision!

Thanks,
Kevin
CeaSaR

Re: Diode needed

Post by CeaSaR »

(>Newark<) shows this Vishay #MUR440-E3/54 ($0.55 / 1) as a substitute. I see what you mean about
NTE prices, at $2+ they are a bit steep. (>Jameco<) lists it for $1.85 / 1. (>MCM<) lists it for $1.62 / 1.

CeaSaR
Hey, what do I know?
psycho

Post by psycho »

Hmmm. That is great! Except for the fact that one thing on my order (22uF/250v Cap) gets a $20 surcharge. Something to do with shipping from the UK???? It did look good at first, though.

Thanks!
Kevin
Dave Dixon

Post by Dave Dixon »

We order from Newark almost daily. I can squeeze a few in our next shipment from them if you would like. $0.481 ea (we get a discount!) and you'll have to pay for a first class stamp for me to send them USPS to you, once I get them. Let me know how many you want to buy, and if you can spare a couple of bucks through paypal or something simple.
psycho

Post by psycho »

I'll just order the NTE ones from Mouser - I need a couple other things anyway. But thanks for the offer. I have never ordered from newark but they seem pretty good. I still don't understand why they have to ship some stuff from the UK, though.

Thanks,
Kevin