Come on, how much geek can a cook be ?

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Externet

Come on, how much geek can a cook be ?

Post by Externet »

Hi fellows.

Or how much of a chef can a geek be ?

http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml

Miguel :roll:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
philba

Re: Come on, how much geek can a cook be ?

Post by philba »

Hmmm, 500 mA is enough to grill a burger? That's max 2.5W instantaneous... It says something about charging up caps but that sounds really lame. It takes more like 1KW to cook something.

The better question is why would anyone think that they should be cooking a greasy burger next to a computer??? Good idea...

Just because we can doesn't mean we should.
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

I'm a geek and I won a cooking contest for my very own Vegetable Beef Soup recipe. My fellow geeks in the department look forward to my Italian Beef I bring to the Christmas party. I have several other soups I make as well as fried chicken tenders, seasoned hamburgers, and spaghetti sauce that my family looks forward to me making. When I'm at my parents during summer months I am usually volunteered as the grill master. During winter visits I end up cooking something; be it a huge kettle of soup, fried chicken tenders, or any number of dishes I make.

A fellow geek has some of the best hot wings I've ever tasted. His sauce is made from scratch; and does not use pre-made stuff from a bottle. He makes his own hot sauce from fresh peppers. Speaking of geekiness (sp?) and wings, I can duplicate Hooters wings perfectly three out of five times. Several of us geeks will get together for grill outs during the summer. A geek in a similar department has his own gas grill here at work. During the summer he cooks his lunch.

Back in high school physics we had two labs I can remember to this day (good impression for 20 plus years). One was the "Hot Dog" lab. We we got hot dogs from the cafeteria, "uncooked" if you will, and stuck a fork in each end. To the fork we attached alligator clips that were on the end of a line cord. Plugging the line cord in cooked the hot dog. In a similar lab we baked cakes with electricity. We used the Jiffy mix cake(small boxes), glass loaf pans, and metal plates to cook a cake with the similar clip lead AC cords. (Think of putting wet cake mix in between two metal plates, like the dialectric of a capacitor, to get an idea of what we did.) Not too many directions were given for this lab. In my class a "girl geek" and I were the only two to figure out that you mixed the cake mix according to the directions on the package. Everyone else winged it with varying results.

There are a few geeks that can cook.

But......As far as this grill thing.... I don't think it can do much more than melt some cheese on a slice of bread. It is possible, however unlikely, that it would cook a burger. I'm not sure how high the internal temp of the burger would get though. I don't think I'd even trust it for Roman noodles.
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

My Habeneros power all my cooking, by the kilo watt.
Edd

Post by Edd »

Y’ole fewls !…….(You old fools!)
Using a minumally available, USB derived power…...stacked capacitors…....bah humbug!
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/looflirpa/igrill.shtml
Check out the third /sub directorate / in the referenced URL and use REVERSE POLISH LOGIC on it.

73's de Edd
[email protected] .........(Interstellar~~~~Warp~~~Speed)
[email protected].........(Firewalled*Spam*Cookies*Crumbs)
;) ;)

I know that the formula for water is -H-two-O
What's the formula for an ice cube? -H-two-O-CUBED

:roll:
dyarker

Post by dyarker »

It took me a while (cuz they're early), but I finally got it

<small>[ February 10, 2006, 03:38 AM: Message edited by: Dale Y ]</small>
Dale Y
jollyrgr

Post by jollyrgr »

Thanks Edd. This is a bit more obscure than my fool in another thread.....
No trees were harmed in the creation of this message. But billions of electrons, photons, and electromagnetic waves were terribly inconvenienced!
Mike

Post by Mike »

I seriously thought this was real...in fact today I happened to be in some store and ran across a bunch of george foreman grills. You wouldn't believe how serious i am when i say I almost asked the cashier if they carry it.

That is, until I added it to my cart on thinkgeek, now i'm glad i didnt make a fool out of myself asking for an iGrill