car speakers pop when car turned off (amplified)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
Phaelium

car speakers pop when car turned off (amplified)

Post by Phaelium »

Hey<p>I have a 4 channel amp in my car running all the speakers, and when I turn the car off it is causing a loud popping noise on all 4 speakers. From what I've been told, its because my amplifier is turning off too late, after the receiver (cd player) has turned off. There is a remote turn on lead coming from the receiver that turns on my amp (and turns it off). What I need to do is find a way to have my amp turn off before the receiver does. I know I can put a capacitor delay in between the receiver and the power to the receiver, but that would delay everything, not just the amp turning off, so I don't think that will work. Any ideas?
MicroRem

Re: car speakers pop when car turned off (amplified)

Post by MicroRem »

just put a relay in series with the speaker leads that is pulled in by the ignition switch. Shutting off the key will disconnect the speakers before the pop is generated.
Chris Smith

Post by Chris Smith »

That could be a bad Idea, when the amps have no where to discharge their load? [impeedance would be missing] You "Might" blow the amp? <p>Just rig up a large cap on the Stereo positive to keep it running for a few more seconds only, while the Amp shuts off. You might try this with all three items, one at a time until you cure your problem. My guess is the power relays in the amp [or cd, or stereo] clicking off and giving a "bounce" of amperage "induced" back into the circuit?
keymaker

Post by keymaker »

Wow..
Of all the times I've seen someone use a cap for car audio...<p>This is the FIRST person to come up with a useful purpose for one..<p>Good idea.
MicroRem

Post by MicroRem »

Hmmm.. Could be a bad idea, but if I'm not mistaken, solid state amps can handle a no load situation ok, it's tubes that don't like to be "unloaded". I s'pose if you were concerned about it, u could use the relay to swap to a dummy load, but I'm really not sure it's necessary.