Help requested

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jz128

Help requested

Post by jz128 »

I recently obtained a Micro-1 micro programmable controller, made by IDEC. I have the controller and the user manual, but I have no way of programming it, it should have a program loader, but I can't seem to find it.<p>I went to their website, and they have a cable to hook it to a PC, but they want $85 for the cable and then $250 for the software. <p>I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to make my own cable or where I could find one for little $.
hlreed

Re: Help requested

Post by hlreed »

You will need the software before you can do anything. The cable might be a simple thing, but they could get you there also.
With the software you should get an assembler, a simulator and a programmer.
Sometimes you just gotta pay.
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
jz128

Post by jz128 »

I found a demo of their software on their site. I think it might work with a few restrictions. Somebody told me that I might be able to use a phone line cable and a serial adapter. Is this possible and if so, where can i get it?
hlreed

Post by hlreed »

Yes, you could use telephone cable. Buy two 9 pin plugs or sockets as needed at Rat Shack. There are four connections. Assuming your programmer is set up as DCE side, the computer is DTE.
Oops, you need ground, so you will need at least 5 wires.
The computer Your programmer
Pins Pins
2 Data out 2 data in
3 data in 3 data out
7 Request to send 7 clear to send
8 Clear to send 8 request to send
5 signal ground 5 signal ground
Harold L. Reed
Microbes got brains
josmith

Post by josmith »

The idec demo software won't let you transfer the program to the plc. YOu can write and compile but unless you have some kind of a hack to communicate it won't get you going.<p>RANT:
How do these companies get off charging big bucks for software that is only good to operate their product?