Modern microelectronic marvels

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
jwax

Modern microelectronic marvels

Post by jwax »

Upon first hearing about these, I was sure it was a joke.
Nope.
Real:
http://www.ecigaretteschoice.com/pages/ ... Works.html
Ain't technology grand?
WA2RBA
MrAl

Re: Modern microelectronic marvels

Post by MrAl »

Hi,

Wow, that's crazy. Havent seen anything that nuts in a while now. I guess if it can help people stop smoking
it may be worth it, but apparently they will still be hooked on nicotine anyway.
LEDs vs Bulbs, LEDs are winning.
goingjag

Post by goingjag »

I'm for anything that will get rid of the smoke aspect.

I lost both my Father-in-law and Mother-in-law to lung cancer/Emphysema. My Mother-in-law, despite seeing my FIL have a lung removed and then slowly inch to death, continued to smoke resulting in her developing Emphysema. She would take her oxygen out and light up, then put the oxygen back in. This was a woman with a PHD. She simply could not give up the nicotine despite several attempts. They have it right regarding needing the tactile feeling of smoking, that's why patches don't work for a lot of people.

I sincerely hope people that need it will try it. The nicotine isn't as bad as the smoke contents.
zotdoc

Post by zotdoc »

The nicotene is still dngerous in terms of heart and peripheral vascular disease, but it may be an aid to quit smoking. At least if this catches on, we non smokers won't have to put up with the smoke .
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

That design has been in development for over 20 years, this version with the ultrasonic vaporizer finally overcomes the ability to hack the system to be used as a covert crack, hash oil or other drug smoking device. At least until some cleaver chemistry grad student reformulates meth and they have to pull it from the market again.

Reminds me of how they had to redesign the MacDonalds coffee stirrer so it couldn't be used as a coke snorting spoon.

I wonder how the cost of this stacks up against the high priced and highly taxed cigarette it replaces. I've never seen one in a store for sale (not to say I ever looked)
jwax

Post by jwax »

haklesup-Do you know if these are indeed ultrasonic? Are you saying there is an oscillator and transducer in each unit? That is remarkable! I would have expected a tiny heater element, but have yet to reverse engineer one.
WA2RBA
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

haklesup-Do you know if these are indeed ultrasonic?
I'm going by the caption on the linked diagram though I recognise that the written description (even in wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electronic_cigarette) describes it as being heated but then also contradictorally calls it atomizing. They way I understand the terms a heater would vaporize and ultrasonic would atomize so There is some unclarity here. I don't see any reason a small piezoelectric atomizer would not be possible and likely be more efficient on the battery than a resistance heater for vaporizing/atomizing a liquid.

Since wiki describes the liquid as being mostly propolyne glycol. I see this as being just a tiny fog machine as you might find in a disco or in a halloween store. (albeit spiked with nicotine and flavorings)

I also seem to recall a TV spot on the device but can't remember the program. One of those science magazine type shows I'm sure.

Note this paragraph near the end of the wiki piece:
The first design for an electronic cigarette was developed in China by Hon Lik of Ruyan,[17] and specified the use of ultrasonic technology. That patent is currently pending worldwide.[3] Most electronic cigarettes on the market today use a significantly altered design involving a heating element in place of ultrasonic technology.