New scam (to me)

This is the place for any magazine-related discussions that don't fit in any of the column discussion boards below.
psycho

New scam (to me)

Post by psycho »

Funny, I hardly ever get spam email (less than a handful a year). Today I got this:

-------------------------------------------------

REFERENCE: SNS/097836578/09/NL

ATTENTION.

Be informed that my previous mail was not responded and I do not know what to take your non response to mean.

Our search revealed your last name as same with a customer of the SNS Bank whom we have been trying to trace his relatives to no avail. Benefits from this account worth millions of dollars are awaiting payment.

In view of above and my post as the head of compensation and benefits of my bank, your last name can be accepted for an heir to this huge amount of money. You needless worry about the legal requirements as you shall be closely guided and directed.

Kindly respond with your full name as stated in your driver's license or international passport and your direct telephone number.

Be advised to keep this very important notice to yourself while your payment will be processed and released to you.

Yours Faithfully,
Chris Veenstra

----------------------------------------------

How is it possible that people fall for this?

My guess is that they will somehow charge your telephone bill if it is a cell - don't know if they could charge a landline number.

And, no... I didn't respond.

Kevin
SETEC_Astronomy

Re: New scam (to me)

Post by SETEC_Astronomy »

Google "419 scam". It's a sad reality that people do fall for these types of things, makes cutting the fiber coming from other countries seem like a good idea. To bad even that wouldn't stop all the spam and scam emails.
Externet

Post by Externet »

YOU DID NOT RESPOND ??? What a wasted opportunity !!!
Learn from these (will take a lot of your time to follow) :

http://www.419eater.com/html/joe_eboh.htm
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/Ablert_Fred1.html

Miguel :evil:
- Abolish the deciBel ! -
psycho

Post by psycho »

I have heard of the Nigerian scams before... I didn't know this was the same type of scam. Sooner or later thy will stumble upon some poor fool that has been living under a rock for the past decade.

On another note, I would think that you heard about the craigslist problem where people go to check out a used car and wind up getting robbed... They tried that in Chicago and 3 guys jumped out of a tree on a man and lady. They started hitting the man with a baseball bat. Turns out the Man and woman were cops from a suburb... All 3 of the men were shot by the victims :shock:

Kevin
reloadron

Post by reloadron »

I don't have time to read about scams right now. I am busy emailing my bank all my personal information. They sent me an email telling me they needed it all again. :shock:

Ron
Dean Huster

Post by Dean Huster »

How is it possible that people fall for this?
It's called GREED. The "opportunity" to get something for nothing.

Dean
Dean Huster, Electronics Curmudgeon
Contributing Editor emeritus, "Q & A", of the former "Poptronics" magazine (formerly "Popular Electronics" and "Electronics Now" magazines).

R.I.P.
atferrari

Post by atferrari »

Yes Dean, GREED brings you into troubles, but CURIOSITY makes you you peek at the wrong place. In Spanish we say "se juntan el hambre con las ganas de comer".
haklesup

Post by haklesup »

My guess is that they will somehow charge your telephone bill if it is a cell - don't know if they could charge a landline number.
The next step is the con man calls you and works the scam up close. ("as you shall be closely guided and directed.") Giving your full name validates the premise that he actually cross referenced you with the supposed deceased reletive. He would try to obtain additional personal information (to further validate you are the person he is looking for, your SSN, your address, your mothers maiden name etc) to either perpetrate an identity theft or get you to give banking details so he could send the money but that works both ways and you end up with your savings withdrawn and the recieving account already closed by the time you find out (banking fraud).

This is also related to the international lottery winner scam with a different hook but the same line and sinker and always baited with greed.
tbyte

Post by tbyte »

Often the next step is that they ask you to send a fee to cover, for example, opening an account. Then they ask you to send a digital camera, for example, so they can make a passport. Then more money, etc. They keep asking for more money and electronics until the target stops sending it. Some people send their entire savings and go into debt for these scams. The scammers have rooms full of kids sending out the e-mails, and then when someone responds an adult takes over.